Pulled hamstring

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there man. The total Suck. My best stretches for it ->

#1 - cross right over left leg, bend down at waist to touch toes. Hold for 8-30 seconds. Switch legs to left over right. Keep legs as straight as possible. You'll really feel it.

#2 - spread legs wide while standing and reach down and touch the floor. Keep legs straight and engage the quads and hamstrings. 8-30 seconds. As many reps as possible.

#3 - the best one, but the hardest. Get a partner and a weight bench. Get down in the pushup position on the weight bench. Have a partner hold your lower legs. Push yourself off the weight bench bending at the waist while your partner holds your legs down. Try to get all the way up and then fall back down. As many as you can do -> more as you get strong again.

Also: hot-tub and massage help greatly. Make sure you warm up in some manner BEFORE any of those stretches. Everything I've read about stretching says it's better to do AFTER a workout. If you want to "stretch" before, then just simply do some cardio and get moving - don't do specific muscle group stretches: IMHO.

My 2 cents.

BTW, Even after my pull, I still have trouble stretching on the side that was pulled... but it's good enough without pain.

From a recent review article

"Grade I and II strains are treated conservatively with rest, ice

packs, relative immobilization, compression, non-steroidal

anti-inflammatory drugs, and analgesics as needed. In the

first 3 to 5 days the goal of treatment is control of hemorrhage,

edema, and pain. Progressive ambulation is begun

when swelling and tenderness begin to subside, assisted with

crutches until pain-free walking is possible. Gentle painless

stretching should be initiated. Strengthening is progressed as

long as it remains pain-free (starting with isometric exercise,

then progressing to isokinetic). Jogging and running are

increased as tolerated. Return to competition is permitted

after full recovery from the injury"

Here is the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22894694

Also, here is an excellent article by Mike Boyle (one of the premier strength coaches in the world):

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/2127.cfm

Edited by jordansahls

i like to use foam rollers, i bought a trigger point roller from a runners store for about $25. im surprised a dough boy like urself doesn't already have a roller ;).

:tup: 2nd the foam roller. My sister, a Pilates instructor, gave me one and it's pretty awesome for massage/release, as well as core workouts.

this is my favorite hamstring stretch of all time

hamstring-stretch.jpg

holy shit that hurts so good

lock the knee, lift the leg up. The opposite leg should be bent, to relieve pressure from SI joint. Get to the point of feeling a slight stretch on the back of the thigh. Hold the stretch FOR 2 SECONDS ONLY (thus avoiding stretch muscle reflex). Repeat 10 times. Make sure you are using your quadriceps and hip flexors, and the rope/sling is for assist only! Do it 3-4 times a day

stretch shown done right

Edited by glassgowkiss

For the non-pervs, the release referred to is at the junction between the muscle and tendon because they work against each other sometimes after injury. Myofacial release massage helped me solve elbow and shoulder tendon issues but it is more painful than watching the Kardashians on TV. Don't know how applicable it is to the hammie.

Edited by matt_warfield

• 2 weeks later...
For the extra point, sit in a bathtub of cold water for ten minutes at a time, it doesn't need to be deeper than the top of your thighs. Please don't post a TR with pictures, though a sound recording may be entertaining.

I would recommend doing it in the dark. While the hamstring is being helped the sight of shrinkage could damage the mind forever. A failed two point conversion.

But Mark Hudon was a stud back in the day which piques the memory of the geezers on this thread.

Geezers who need to heal should start by warming up gradually via cardio as mentioned above but adapting to limited attention spans, then gently stretch the biggest tendon we have, meaning not overdo it, and remember that tendons heal much slower than muscles and can't be rushed.

And whenever questioned ALWAYS say your injury was due to a knife fight or a shark attack.

Edited by matt_warfield

I was being chased by a guy with a knife, actually.

I free fell about 20 feet before sticking the landing with my left leg, which polevaulted the rest of me downslope another 80 ft or so in a most confusing fashion. The only thing that kept Josh from following me over was my trap door act.

No matter how careful you are, zero viz iz what it iz.

The ski down wasn't too bad. My ski bases got it worse than I did.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...