Pants with Grommets?

matsfredrickson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just switching out my cord today, by coincidence. I'm going to use some leftover Kelty Triptease Lightline (tent cord - secured with a hefty black plastic piston hank/draw string thing and a stop knot) because the boot laces I was using tend to fray, then freeze into the grommet. That should last for a while.

Shock cord is just rubber bands with a very thin nylon sheath - it doesn't take abrasion too well, and you don't want anything stretchy that'll allow snow in when you're plunge stepping.

In any case, I sure don't miss gators.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I just thread the cord through both grommets with a stop knot on both ends, and tighten it with a piston hank/drawstring stop (all plastic, including the spring, so no rust) located aft (outside) of the back grommet. Just pull (the hank) back and you have access to your boots. It's worked great for about 3 years of heavy use for the kind of quick transitions required for AT skiing - opening and closing can be done quickly without removing your mittens.

Edited by tvashtarkatena