Mt. Washington

oldclimber

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any information for you, but my guess is the road is fine. There has thus far been very little snow down to the trailhead elevation -- what is it - 3000 feet? -- and very little rain for a long time. Even if by some freak of nature you have to park well down the road, it would be an easy walk to the trailhead.

mattp & skisports:

Thanks for the replys. I've got an S-10 4x4 with big tires so we'll see how far we go. I also carry shovel and chains but there comes a point in winter approaches where you choose to park and start walking uphill. I figure that's what I came for anyway, not to see how far I can push my truck.

I'll post a TR upon return . Thanks again.

Just got off the phone with the Hoodsport ranger station. They are saying the road is open to the upper Ellinor trailhead . Sounds like smooth sailing to the starting point for routes on the east side of Washington. Said it was "icy" up high. Sounds like plastic boot, axe and crampon time.

I haven't seen any photos on the web. I guess its just too insignificant. I've climbed this mountain many times, the latest time being this past November 1st. I have some great pictures that I'll try to remember to scan in and post (if I can figure out how)/e-mail to you.

Left Tacoma at 6:00 am Sat. and reached the start point for route 1A in the olympics guide at 8:00 am. Broke out of the fog into brilliant sunshine just above Hoodsport. Discussed the lack of snow and summer like conditions, but decided to leave the winter clothes in the pack just to be conservative. That turned out to be over cautious. No snow whatsoever on the road or the mountain until 5000ft. We moved up to the final meadow and then turned left (south) up a rock gully to the headwall described in the guidebook The traverse from that point to the summit ridge was primarily an 8 to 12 ft band of 30 degree snow with 400 ft of exposed rock below. There were some old steps in the snow and the climbing was not difficult, it was only about 100 yds, but if you slipped on the snow and could not immediately arrest , you were dead. I led out about half the traverse when my partner (future son-in-law) called out to say he was not comfortable continuing without a rope. It's always hard to turn back 500ft below the summit but I supported his decision and I was impressed with his judgement. I said we'd come back in the spring, protect the traverse, and knock this one off.

A July like day in December in the Olympics with a young man who I am very pleased is marrying my daughter. Life is good. Now if we just didn't have to climb 3000ft of rock, dirt and roots in plastic boots.

Lemon-- cool picture.

It's a little hard to tell , but that looks like the summit ridge, just before the summit block. the picture would be looking back (south) toward Ellinor. If thats the case, we turned back at the far left of the picture at the point where you come up to meet the headwall and turn right to reach the spot your climber is standing.