A Scout is:

tvashtarkatena

Trustworthy, Loyal (except to gays and atheists)

Helpful (except to gays and atheists)

Friendly (except to gays and atheists)

Courteous (except to gays and atheists)

Kind (except to gays and atheists)

Obedient (to religions that promote discrimination)

Cheerful (except to gays and atheists)

Thrifty

Brave (except when it comes to interracting with gays and atheists)

Clean

and Reverent (to religions that promote discrimination)

Being a Scout and Explorer were wonderful parts of my early life. I hope they do the right thing.

EGOMANIAC/ACLU CITATION ALERT: In BSA v James Dale (2000), SCOTUS ruled 5-4 to uphold the BSA's right to express their anti-gay, anti-atheist viewpoint by excluding members of those groups, reversing an ACLU victory in the NJ Supreme Court.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ironically, i left the bsa right around the time i learned how gay sitting aroudn a church all tuesday night talking about bullshit truly was :)

i wish i'd done the explorers, and shit, that's mixed gender anyway so why not throw in the transformers too?

ironically, i left the bsa right around the time i learned how gay sitting aroudn a church all tuesday night talking about bullshit truly was :)

i wish i'd done the explorers, and shit, that's mixed gender anyway so why not throw in the transformers too?

The Scouts were a local thing - Vietnam jungle boots, coffee can cooking and black plastic tarps in the hills around town. Sponsored by the Papists, but I never realized the BSA was an organization that had its mouth so firmly wrapped around Fundy cock until the SCOTUS case in 2000. Don't remember much God fearin' during my stint, but then, us Catholics tend to outsource all that shite to the Pedophilehood.

The Explorers were another thing entirely - rafting the Snake, the Tetons, Yosemite backcountry. I'm still amazed at the cool trips our leaders put together, considering that they were really just a couple of middle aged, small town drunks who otherwise weren't really outdoor types.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

most of my bsa time was in germany, and we actually did some pretty cool shit, definetly instilling an interest in outdoor adventure - camping in winter conditions in switzerland was badass, as was spending lots of times in wilderness areas also used by american amry unit for training, invariably chock-full of lost magazines of m16 blanks, expended claymores, etc :)

"but it's 'historic'!!!!"

So put it in a history museum, already.

Just got rid of the same historic image (Warner Sallman's 'Head of Christ - 1940...over 500 million copies sold) decoupaged onto a shellacked wall clock. Cleaning out the Krobar of all non-pagan images as part of my own War on Christmas. Lookout Bible life expectancy has decreased somewhat these days, as well. Gotta start those wood stoves with somethin.

BTW, we've got a fly guest room in the basement now...with a couch almost long enough for ya, even.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

More proof that the ACLU are nothing but worthless shit-heels.

bizarre. this story sounds like a prime-example of what the 1st amendment bans - public institutions don't get to hold out one religion or religous figure as the preferred one. these folks could at least muddy the waters by having their "historic" portrait flanked by others of mohammed, vishnu, buddha, confucious, gandhi, and david lee roth so as to not so crystal-clearly violate the establishment clause...

More proof that the ACLU are nothing but worthless shit-heels.

bizarre. this story sounds like a prime-example of what the 1st amendment bans - public institutions don't get to hold out one religion or religous figure as the preferred one. these folks could at least muddy the waters by having their "historic" portrait flanked by others of mohammed, vishnu, buddha, confucious, gandhi, and david lee roth so as to not so crystal-clearly violate the establishment clause...

The ACLU go after things like this just to be complete shit-heels. The picture harms nobody.

The picture harms nobody.

that's, like, your opinion, man.

the same rationale was used in violating the constitution in deporting the indians (and the japanese) no less - sure, it's breaking the rules, but it ain't hurting any (real) people...

The picture harms nobody.

that's, like, your opinion, man.

the same rationale was used in violating the constitution in deporting the indians (and the japanese) no less - sure, it's breaking the rules, but it ain't hurting any (real) people...

nonsense.

your example obviously harms people. The picture has been there for decades. Leave it alone. The ACLU is famous for this kind of bullshit- that and supporting pedophile rights to draw naked pictures of kiddies. A great organization, yep.

that picture DOES harm people, like myself, who think religion is bullshit and hate the swiss-jesus as the obvious phony thing that it is

put a chocolate-jesus portrait up instead, and then one of george carlin right next to him, and i cease to be offended.

That picture would harm me, too. It's obviously in a place of "honor" rather than a purely historical piece in the library next to other pieces. It's hard to imagine that anyone could not tell that the "historical" angle is just a bullshit defense, are you really trying to pretend that it has nothing to do with their beliefs in the positive message of Jesus? Really? I'm not buying it, you're just being stubborn either because the ACLU are a buncha liberals, or you just want to disagree with us, or both.

Historical. Lol. Does the school specialize in teaching Christian history? Do they have other historical pictures throughout the school? Why would they choose a historical picture of someone of great religious importance, especially at the exclusion of others? Why would they be that interested in religion, at all? President, please. You're smarter than that.

Edited by rob

That picture would harm me, too. It's obviously in a place of "honor" rather than a purely historical piece in the library next to other pieces. It's hard to imagine that anyone could not tell that the "historical" angle is just a bullshit defense, are you really trying to pretend that it has nothing to do with their beliefs in the positive message of Jesus? Really? I'm not buying it, you're just being stubborn either because the ACLU are a buncha liberals, or you just want to disagree with us, or both.

Historical. Lol. Does the school specialize in teaching Christian history? Do they have other historical pictures throughout the school? Why would they choose a historical picture of someone of great religious importance, especially at the exclusion of others? Why would they be that interested in religion, at all? President, please. You're smarter than that.

Well, you and Ivan's repeated anti-religious hate-speech bothers me. Much more than some picture could possibly harm you.

Can you imagine entering a supposedly secular organization and seeing a common religious portrayal of Jesus hanging above the stairs in it's rightful position of protection? I would LOL. I didn't read the whole article, this is in the south, right?

Can you imagine entering a supposedly secular organization and seeing a common religious portrayal of Jesus hanging above the stairs in it's rightful position of protection? I would LOL. I didn't read the whole article, this is in the south, right?

I would ignore it.

There's all kind of goofy shit up in Seattle that I ignore.

To me, it would be a hint of the flavor of philosophy undertaken by that organization's administration, and it would make me feel extremely uncomfortable because I have zero interest in being under the rule of someone who will make administrative decisions based on what the bible says. How do they feel about open demonstrations of homosexuality? How do they feel about atheists like me? I would feel oppressed. I don't want someone's religion in my face, administrators need to leave that shit in the parking lot.

Thanks, ACLU!

I have zero interest in being under the rule of someone who will make administrative decisions based on what the bible says.

You probably have been, are, and will be many more times in the future. That's life.

Luckily the constitution protects me from this. Phew!

They should let them keep it up as long as the put an Islamic icon right next to it, perhaps a painting of the prophet's Night Journey, that's a popular one.