Camping Near St. Helens?

Newman55

Snagged St. Helens climbing permits for a Sunday in September. Planning to make a weekend out of it and camp in the area prior to the Sunday hike.

Anyone have recommendations for camping in the area? Also interested in other recommended day hikes or outdoor activities in the area to keep us from drinking around the campfire all day Saturday.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Camping right at the snow park is the norm, I've found. Campfires and drinking are excellent ideas for Saturday, I know of nothing else.

If you want to escape the crowds you can always walk your camping stuff in (45mins? 1hour?) up to Chocolate Falls and camp in the flats there. You'll have views of the mountain, which is nice.

newman,

what kind of 'in the area' did you have in mind? a little to the east is indian heaven wilderness. surprise lakes camp ground (and others in that vicinity.

An even closer one that I think is pretty slick is to go along the Lewis river trail. Its all flat, it goes through some pretty spectacular old growth, right along the river - you can snag a spot a mile or so from the car and about a 25 minute drive from MSH TH. There is even a spot along the river in the first mile or two with a rope swing out into a deep spot, though I've never swam in the upper Lewis.

cheers