1 person tent

Whatcomboy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that most 1 person shelters are good for summer stuff but flimsy if you are in a storm or in winter. I prefer a couple extra pounds to have a two person sized tent that can withstand nature. Even if you are the only one in it along with your gear.

Bigger tents are a pain in the ass and best left to car campers.

Adding on to Tvash, it depends on your goals. Spooning in a bivy sack in the alpine, doing a three day dry summer trip in the Enchantments with a tarp or just a bag and pad, backpacking in a big rain like up the Hoh on the way to Olympus, or winter camping all have different criteria.

If you scrimp the Cascades will eventually make you suffer.

Edited by matt_warfield

FWIW, I've had a 1 man tent but never used it, so I sold it. There always seemed to be lighter/better solutions on just about every trip. Here's what I carry these days for the odd man out trips:

Marginal wetter: Tarptent (2 man, but only 2 lbs).

Winter: A megamid (don't own one) can fit 3 for not much weight I think. Midwinter I usually stay at a lookout or in a snow shelter or something - or just sleep out if its gonna be clear skies and lows in the mid teens or above. Below that I either have to pack The Gigantor 0 degree bag or bring a shelter.

Pretty good wetter: sleep out w/ 1 lb bivvy sack as backup or silnylon tarp.

Good wetter: sleep out w Emergency Medical Systems bivvy sack - 3 oz. Good for extended solo trips where it something might come in towards the end.

I love my one man tent. MH Direkt 2. I guess it would be TWO if you were short and weightless. For one it's BOMBER. Uses DryQ (event), seam sealed, rated 4 season, seconds to put up and just plain awesome. Oh and 2.5 lbs. Half a pound more than a filled water bottle. Yep, expensive. But whatever.

4 or 3 season?

I grabbed a Rab Summit Superlite from a member here this summer and it's the shit, for a super light single wall 4-season tent. 3 and some change in weight, no frills- single wall, no vestibule, no mesh, no windows, 2 polls and you can erect it (heh heh heh heh) from the inside.

Seam-taped eVent with a PU tub floor means waterproof and super breathable. I haven't yet had it in killer wind, but I have no doubt, fully guyed, it'll do just fine.

• 1 month later...