Wonderland Trail + Rainer Climb June 2013

ryangagnon2003

Looking for a partner to do the wonderland trail (91 miles) this summer (late June) ending with a climb up Mount Rainer (probably via emmons direct). We would be trying to break the record so it would involve about 18+ miles per day of hiking on the trail ending with a 20 hr push to the summit. If you know anyone or are interested please let me know. Ultralight travel and mountaineering experience is preferred. If this sounds like your cup of tea, please let me know.

-Ryan

ryan.j.gagnon@wsu.edu

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely something I want to try again. I attempted a similar feat in 2009 but sprained my ankle near Indian Flats. Hobbled all the way to Mowich and hitchhiked back to my car. My goal was 72 hrs minus the climb, i covered 33 miles in 10 hrs before rolling my ankle. I've also completed the Timberline Trail several times in under 10hrs, the Lowitt Trail and a 50 mile stretch of the PCT from Mt Hood to the Columbia. I've got my pack weight pretty dialed. How do you feel about running portions of the trail? Will the trail be clear by June?

Edited by indiablo

The record for the WT might be still held by John Stamstad in September 2003 of about 24 hours. I did the 105 mile version from the NW entrance in 3 days in late July 2008 and that was no big deal carrying a 17 lb pack with about 20+ miles on snow. If I was not doing the Kautz Glacier /Kautz Headwall the end of July, I would join you.

I had a big snow year in 2008. Safe to say the trail won't be clear by mid -July in a normal year. But hiking on snow is no big deal if your navigation skills are up to it in heavy fog. Sleeping on snow, however, requires slightly heavier gear.

Those records are made by elite ultra-runners.

I tried to run it completely unsupported in late September 2004. Made it 1/3 the way cc from the nw before deciding it was a bad idea, and returned back to the start 24 hours later. Still one of the finest runs that I have done.

I always thought that a ski tour would be fun.