WTF Mountain Hardwear?

elliottwill

I just ordered and received their Chocklite Anorak. Typical non-climbing fit: huge in the torso, lifts way up when you raise your arms, short sleeves. Compare to the R1 Hoody I'm wearing underneath it, same size:

photo_4_4.JPG

What should I replace it with? What's light like a windshirt but a little tougher for scraping against rock? Any suggestions? Anyone want to sell a Houdini Jacket?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. This weekend I finally tore the seams out of my six year old Houdini, Incredible Hulk style. I ordered the new Gamma LT hoody on warranty; at 5x the weight of the Houdini it's probably overkill but we will see. At this point I think the Houdini can't be beat for an all-year, all-the-time, do-everything mountain shell. I'll post a review of the Gamma LT hoody if I'm wrong.

gamma lt or gamma sl?

the gamma sl is an amazing piece. the gamma lt is a basic midweight softshell.

More or less true. I've found the Gamma LT to be the best of the simple, old-school softshells - it's water resistant, super stretchy, and should last a long time. A shame Dane didn't review it alongside the NW Alpine Big 4, et al. The Gamma SL is a different beast (and better I think, for most uses), and incredibly modern - perhaps more stretchy and a piece that really is invisible in use (in the good way).

That said, I don't think these pieces properly replace the Houdini.