The next revolution in waterproof fabric?

JasonG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the company's website:

"P2i originated within the UK Ministry of Defence as a project investigating the use of super-hydrophobic technologies to enhance soldiers’ protective clothing from chemical attack. Traditional protective uniforms used non-porous materials with little breathability and reduced mobility. The key to P2i’s success is making breathable fabrics such as cotton, liquid repellent without changing their original properties.

With P2i’s technology, completed garments can be processed ensuring that seams, stitching and even zippers are treated with the nano-coating. This provides superior liquid repellent benefits as there are no weak points attracting or absorbing hazardous liquids."

sounds identical to the 'technology' that hi-tech boot company was suppose to embrace and implement (all i saw about 2 years ago was very limited--a single pair of boots).

never seemed to get off the ground really...

http://www.hi-tec.com/us/v-lite-mt-nevis-ii-wpi.html

I'm just going to go out on a limb and suggest that at least in hi-tech's operation the implementation and results of ion-mask probably fall way short of the theory described above. i recall reading all the same type of buzz back then about how you could make a white shirt stainproof to red wine, etc.. maybe hi-tech screwed the pooch but like many things i am guessing real world isn't quite as idylic as the gore/polartec/eVent graphics showing warm air/moisture escaping with the cold/blue water bouncing off the outside of the shell.

Sounds like the "never wet" DWR. I have my suspicions.

Schoeller's Nanosphere treatment makes some preposterous claims, too, and my experience with that has been good. Not anywhere near the level they claim, but given realistic expectations, I'm happy with this technology.