South Side and Old Chute

Jarred_Jackman

Conditions for climbing are great right now. Conditions for skiing or boarding down totally suck. We took the old chute and there was a boot-packed staircase most of the way. Heading down was the hardest part as we had to down climb rather than plunge step. One guy tried plunging and he quickly fell/slid to the bottom of the steam vent area below Crater Rock. There were some pieces of rime falling but mostly human caused. Temps were nearing 50 on the summit!

No gear or ropes needed.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One guy tried plunging and he quickly fell/slid to the bottom of the steam vent area below Crater Rock.

That doesn't sound good, and neither did the riding. :( At least it was a nice day. :)

Was riding above Palmer terrible and did you come down the groomed run once you reached it?

I was up there today too, and while the weather was beautiful, the heat inversion was a disaster for climbing....icefall was horrendous and unsafe.....everyone I saw was turning around....we tried to skirt up low above hot rocks, but retreated....way too dangerous. A guy near us got tagged and had to be helped off the mountain.

Are you speaking of a different day perhaps? Cause today was really sketchy up high in my opinion......

My brother and I climbed the old chute early Saturday morning. We summited right before sunrise and the climbing was great. Barely any ice coming down. If you're going to climb in these temps, it's best to go early while everything is still frozen. Couldn't believe how many people were just coming up when we got back to Palmer. I think it was 40 degrees by then...