[TR] Mt.Hood- Illumination Rock - Rime Dog variation 1/17/2013

bedellympian

Trip: Mt.Hood- Illumination Rock - Rime Dog variation

Date: 1/17/2013

Trip Report:

My partner Edward Corder and I went up to Hood to check out Illumination Rock routes for the first time. We had the bad luck of catching the warmest day of the past 2 months. Still managed to get some sketchy climbing in before everything completely dissolved around us.

Left car at 5ish. Poked around Illumination and eventually ended up climbing a lot of the same stuff as Rime Dog that Wayne Wallace TRed on. Reached the West Gable and rapped off the back side (one rap ~40m, on double ropes). Back at car by 3:45. We figured it was about AI4 with a short mixed section of about 5.8 rock half covered in rime (whatever that is in M rating).

More details on the awful ice conditions and photos on my blog... Mountain Mischief Blog http://mountainmischief.blogspot.com/

Gear Notes:

Double ropes, some old nuts and slings for rapping. Screws and pickets useless. Lack of common sense and large cahones were also handy.

Approach Notes:

Skis... which I don't recommend as it was super icy up and down. Just take 'pons and walk.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic