down quilts?

APE

Anyone have experience cold-weather (single digits F or less) camping with a down quilt? Specifically I'm curious about Nunatuk quilts.

I've been thinking about this a fair bit. Some thoughts/questions:

* I imagine they're easier to layer than bags if you ever face desperately cold conditions

* can the head be kept warm enough?

* without a closed design, what about drafts?

* much lighter per degree of warmth rating than sleeping bags, since bottom-side down is useless anyway

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a down bag liner that has only a sleeve for a pad on the bottom. it has worked very well for summer and sometimes in winter when weight is key. (add a bivy and down jacket for winter) Not sure if this quilt thing is a just a sleeping bag without down on the bottom or a down blanket.

My understanding is that it has straps to keep it in place over a pad. I guess the idea is similar to the Big Agnes bags that have no down on the bottom, since bottom-down is just about useless anyway.

The weight savings are pretty good. Seems you can save at least 1 lb for a cold setup (-10 or 0 F or so) over high fill count bags.

no down on the bottom is not useless unless your pad is really thick. no insulation on the bottom bags suck ballz

the insulation on the bottom of a sleeping bag does very very very little compared to the sides and top. I don't know what the R value is but for the reason down is lauded for its weight&compression to warmth ratio makes it that much less useful when it is actually compressed. As a stomach sleeper in a down bag I compress a ton of the down under there and those spots offer probably less insulation to my pad than synthetic bag would. That said there are definitely small areas, pockets [like vert or horiz indentations of the sleep pad) where you are not compressing it that puff out and certainly helps.

What I have found when one doesn't have down on the bottom of a mummy bag, actually means that it isn't at the sides really either--just kind of on the top draped over but not tucked in like a quilt. then it certainly feels colder.

What I have found when one doesn't have down on the bottom of a mummy bag, actually means that it isn't at the sides really either--just kind of on the top draped over but not tucked in like a quilt. then it certainly feels colder.

Exactly. A quilt you can at least wrap up in