Gun Control

kevbone

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who liked gun control? This guy.

more relevant today, though, might be the gip's opinion on tightening up the brady bill such that folks can't easily avoid the background check. what did he think of gun shows and private sales?

good question, though his language in the article suggest he wanted *effective* background checks, which is something we've never had.

we do know how he felt about banning assault rifles , though.

Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary. I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan.

If I had known what a bowlful of completely incompetent tools the GOP would eventually become, I would have complained a lot less about Reagan back in the day.

They simply do not give a fuck about effective, responsible governance, or the common good. That shit is long gone.

Fortunately, voters are increasingly taking the hint. That's what happens to fuck up morons - they eventually fuck themselves.

Good riddance.

If I had known what a bowlful of completely incompetent tools the GOP would eventually become, I would have complained a lot less about Reagan back in the day.

They simply do not give a fuck about effective, responsible governance, or the common good. That shit is long gone.

Fortunately, voters are increasingly taking the hint. That's what happens to fuck up morons - they eventually fuck themselves.

Good riddance.

In today's world, Reagen would be termed a liberal.

And the problem is many fuck up others before they fuck up themselves.

You'll get little argument from me, there. At least the Dems are generally on the right side of the tide of social progress. The GOP's stuck in reverse - back to a past that never was.

But hey, use the term Founding Fathers a lot between tee off times while collecting your taxpayer funded paycheck and watch the tears of patriotism well up in your dumb as shit audience.

The problem is that social media and the innernutz have made it nearly impossible to continue recycling the same ole lies to cover up an agenda of wealth and power concentration. It's tough to stop the lies once you've built decades of political platform on them.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

My solution and I would take less than the average salary of a Congressman and it would take 2 minutes:

-Abolish assault rifles knowing they will still exist and be smuggled in like illicit drugs are right now.

-Accept the fact that 3 times 10 rounds equals 30 rounds in three clips, which takes 2 seconds to change but pass a law knowing it wouldn't work. It has happened before.

-Background checks are a great idea

-One word: blackmarket. Defeats any law.

Guns are big and made of steel.

Big steel things are heavy, hard to swallow, easily detectible, and in general, much more difficult to smuggle than drugs.

Drugs, being addictive, have a lot more value to much greater number of consumers than guns.

But that misses the real salient counterpoint - most of the guns in the world come from here. Are we going to smuggle them internally?

Ei, I don't buy that line that a gun ban wouldn't work because the War on Drugs didn't. Apples and oranges big time.

Just charge and handful of those who refuse to respect the assault rifle ban with felony domestic terrorism and you'll see the gun nut community, despite all the cold dead hands BS, hup to pretty quickly.

Come the next election they can vote for Ron Paul or Jesus. Who cares?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

to be fair, the assault rifle ban is not on selling or owning them, it's on MAKING them. That's a significant difference. It's hard to smuggle something that isn't being made anymore.

Harder, anyway.

"Made in China"

Sure, but not made in your basement like marijuana. Nothing will prevent illegal smuggling, but it's better than letting crazy people and felons buy the shit on craigslist with no questions asked. I'm in favor of speed bumps in residential zones, too. :)

Sure, but not made in your basement like marijuana. Nothing will prevent illegal smuggling, but it's better than letting crazy people and felons buy the shit on craigslist with no questions asked. I'm in favor of speed bumps in residential zones, too. :)

They'll be made abroad and smuggled. Guaranteed. And we will not be able to stop it - just look how well the War on Drugs has worked in curtailing smuggled drugs.

They'll be made abroad and smuggled. Guaranteed. And we will not be able to stop it - just look how well the War on Drugs has worked in curtailing smuggled drugs.

I can tell you from personal experience it is a LOT easier to buy assault rifles now, post ban, than it was during the ban. Back then you had to find someone with a pre-ban assault rifle that wanted to sell it and didn't want a lot. There were not a lot of "smuggled" assault rifles on the market.

I'd like to go back to those days. Also, with pending legislation making background checks mandatory for even private sales, all we're missing is a gun registry -- once we have that, we can tell who is selling them illegally. How often do you see people buying cars on the blackmarket that have been smuggled in and have no ownership trail? Not many. More common for blackmarket cars to just be chopped up for parts.

Maybe some day we'll achieve that with guns, but probably not until the NRA loses relevance in congress.

For the record, I would be OK allowing assault rifles if instead we had mandatory background checks for ALL sales (with improved reporting and classification of the mentally ill), and a mandatory gun registry to track ownership transfers, and a gun license that required proof you still owned the guns every few years. That would probably do more to combat gun violence than any other measure. IMO that would be a fair trade.

As final evidence that gun bans CAN work -- the machine gun ban enacted decades ago has been fantastically successful at reducing the rate of fully-automatic weapon use in violent crimes. Likewise, you don't see a lot of grenades on the streets.

All guns sold in the US should be chipped and tracked. Chain of ownership, baby.

Controlling and detecting them at borders just isn't that hard these days with modrun gadgetry.

It's not the 80s or 90s anymore. Not even close.

As i mentioned, guns aren't even remotely close to drugs. the value of drugs per unit weight is thousands of times higher - they are non ferrous as well - much, much easier to smuggle, and much greater incentives to do so.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Fuck me, another thread... Ok, I'll play this silly game again, fully understanding that some of you simply have hoplophobia and no amount of facts will deter you.

The FBI gun homicide statistics simply do not back up any of your completely illogical assertions that assault weapons are a scourge on this Nation.

crime down:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/june/crimes_061112/crimes_061112

murders by weapon 2007-2011 (note that "assault weapons" are considered rifles):

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Gun registry, why don't you ask Canada how well a gun registry works, considering they just repealed theirs as it was in-effective, cost tax payers millions and didn't deter crime.