Gun Control

kevbone

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just off the top of El Cap.

You are forgiven, my son.

Look, DD, I certainly don't wish you any personal strife and I'm sure nobody else here does, either. You've pretty much been a tool to me from day 1 - I suppose you've got your reasons, God knows why you'd bother, with all the shit you've got going on.

Anyway, you might try just ignoring me, not the KKK/FOX news style of ignoring, I mean actually giving it a rest. You know, posting on pretty much any thread I start anywhere on the board - that kind of thing. I don't care either way, freedumb and all, but you might find there is zero interaction between us after that point - if you want the Evil Tvash out of your innernut life, that state of affairs is at hand.

I don't expect the Kakester will ever be able to control himself in that regard, too fixated, but it seems like you could manage it. Channel JayB - the man is unflappable cuz he keeps it in perspective. In the end, I know you're not a raging drunk and you know I'm not a psychopath, so lets mutually cut some of the crap, eh?

Lurking Fear isn't a real el cap route, it's what people do when they realize they can't get up the nose or the zodiac without a guide :) cause that's what i did :blush:

How do you personally reconcile the speculation above with the data below?

weapons23.png

Homicides-1900-2010-2-300x236.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2012-08-10%2Bat%2B9.10.02%2BAM.png

"Contrary to common perceptions, today both property and violent crimes (with the exception of homicides) are more widespread in Europe than in the US, while the opposite was true thirty years ago. We label this fact as the "reversal of misfortunes". We investigate what accounts for the reversal by studying the causal impact of demographic changes, incarceration, abortion, unemployment and immigration on crime. For this we use time series data (1970-2008) from seven European countries and the U.S. We find that the demographic structure of the population and the incarceration rate are important determinants of crime. Our results suggest that a tougher incarceration policy may be an effective way to contrast crime in Europe. Our analysis does not provide information on how incarceration policy should be made tougher nor does it provide an answer to the question whether a such a policy would also be efficient from a cost-benefit point of view. We leave this to future research"

http://www2.dse.unibo.it/zanella/papers/crime-EP.pdf

I'm not sure what question you're asking, but as far as comparing "violent crime" rates, I think it's a very hard thing to do from country to country because countries vary on what types of crime constitute violent crime (some countries county burglaries, some do not), and when they are reports (i.e. some countries only report violent crime convictions, while others report unsolved violent crimes). Comparing statistics is very problematic when there is no standardization in reporting.

It sounds like the point you are trying to make is that actually, nothing is wrong. Am I misunderstanding you?

Could you rephrase your question?

Quoted the wrong guy while I was scrolling and probably misread the original post.

I thought I was responding to someone saying that Americans were becoming more violent over time and American society was categorically more violent than Europe - but after re-reading I'm not sure if anyone actually said that. So...nevermind.

To reply to something that you actually said and relate them to the graphs above, I don't think everything is okay and if I were asked "Is this what gun ownership laws would look like in your personal utopia" I'd definitely say "No," but I think it's worth placing today's level of violent-crime in particular and murder with guns in particular in a historical continuum.

Both have been trending down dramatically relative to historical levels and the recent peaks in the period that fell roughly between 1965 and 1985. It's also worth putting the level of violent crime in the US in the context of violent crime rates elsewhere - though your point about being cautious about international stats is well taken. I'm honestly not sure why crime and violence have been trending down in this country but the trend has been very encouraging.

Stephen Pinker has a book that's evidently a good read where he speculates about why the violence has been trending down so dramatically over the past few centuries. This paper also looks interesting:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/postgraduate/ma_studies/mamodules/hi971/topics/interpersonal/long-term-historical-trends-of-violent-crime.pdf

Look, DD, I certainly don't wish you any personal strife and I'm sure nobody else here does, either. You've pretty much been a tool to me from day 1 - I suppose you've got your reasons, God knows why you'd bother, with all the shit you've got going on.

Anyway, you might try just ignoring me, not the KKK/FOX news style of ignoring, I mean actually giving it a rest. You know, posting on pretty much any thread I start anywhere on the board - that kind of thing. I don't care either way, freedumb and all, but you might find there is zero interaction between us after that point - if you want the Evil Tvash out of your innernut life, that state of affairs is at hand.

I don't expect the Kakester will ever be able to control himself in that regard, too fixated, but it seems like you could manage it. Channel JayB - the man is unflappable cuz he keeps it in perspective. In the end, I know you're not a raging drunk and you know I'm not a psychopath, so lets mutually cut some of the crap, eh?

Lurking Fear isn't a real el cap route, it's what people do when they realize they can't get up the nose or the zodiac without a guide :) cause that's what i did :blush:

I was a really fun fake route, then.

el cap is pretty much a giant peg board these days... i'm not trying to take anything away from you cause i think any el cap route is an achievement. shit i think if you go to work everyday and are a good citizen you're good in my book.

but all bullshit aside that's sorta how you treat people mister...

el cap is pretty much a giant peg board these days... i'm not trying to take anything away from you cause i think any el cap route is an achievement.

didn't you climb El Cap? ;-)

yes but i don't think it's a big deal, but i am proud of what i do. that was some stupid shit john "the ego" frieh made it out to be when some chick was asking how u train for climbing and john was in his crossfit stage of life after ya'll gave him a neutrino windshirt complex which worked cause he's doin badass shit now.

i am honestly happy to wake up healthy every morning, as far as i'm concerned everyone on this site has silly little "white people problems" but it sure is fun to watch the shit fly :)

Here's where I see it... I first noticed your great pictures and artistic abilities when I wandered in here around 2006. It did not take long for me to notice what an arrogant bully you are online. I could care less but I've just always had this thing about picking a fight with the bully. Your complete lack of any humility whatsoever, combined with your relentless bullying of whoever may disagree with you just feeds my appetite to flick you shit. I actually thought I might find the real Pat a kind, gentler person but he seems to be just as much of an asshole. I mention a comparison that anyone who uses/used drugs is the same as supporting the narco cartels is the same as you blaming anyone who still owns a gun as a "gun nut". Obviously, neither are correct in the real world. What do you do, take the cheap shot about me being drunk a day after I lost my family. Classy. Kicking a man when he's down, seems more like a Republican tactic instead of a lefty Dem. Just sayin.

BTW, you have NO idea how often I resist the urge to call your BS. More often than not. At least when I am wrong, I will admit it and apologize, something I can't even fathom you are capable of. Based on your holier than though attitude and bully tactics you spew here, anyway. I don't think I'm alone in my opinion of you. I'd certainly enjoy seeing you eat a bit of humble pie but you are too smart to ever make a mistake so we all know that won't happen.

Yes, the world revolves around Ivan but at least he is funny and self deprecating enough to keep us all pretty entertained. You guys probably make such a cute couple since you both have ego's the size of Texas. I just like his style of arrogance over yours.

How many times have you been banned from this site for your relentless assholidness? Maybe you could take a clue and try not to be such a complete dick. I guess your not really trying as it comes so naturally to you, but you know what I mean.

:wave:

you pretty much hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head on that one mister... dave, you're a cool dude!

I just call em like I see em...

Well, bud, you think about me a HELL of a lot more than vice versa. Guess a feller's gotta have something to fill the time.

I find Ivan delightfully egoless, generous, and either brave or bent, if in a nihilist sort of way, but you have to get him, I suppose.

Later.

Ivan, egoless. Now that is funny.

el cap is pretty much a giant peg board these days... i'm not trying to take anything away from you cause i think any el cap route is an achievement.

didn't you climb El Cap? ;-)

yes but i don't think it's a big deal, but i am proud of what i do. that was some stupid shit john "the ego" frieh made it out to be when some chick was asking how u train for climbing and john was in his crossfit stage of life after ya'll gave him a neutrino windshirt complex which worked cause he's doin badass shit now.

i am honestly happy to wake up healthy every morning, as far as i'm concerned everyone on this site has silly little "white people problems" but it sure is fun to watch the shit fly :)

I've nearly pissed myself laughing at some of the poo I fling. At least I can entertain myself, hopefully at trashie's expense, from time to time, anyway. :grin:

Also, J's 'graphs' have proven to be of questionable origin. What was that Koch Brothers website address again?

His state by state graph does supports fewer guns = less gun deaths, but again, the source link would be nice for vetting.

I'd rather have links to the source so I can determine credibility beyond 'some innernut posted it'.

Sources, Jayb?

If you're talking about the plot with the gun-homicide rate versus the gun ownership it's not authoritative but it's pretty consistent with all of the other representations of the same data I've seen. All that seems to vary is the R^2 coefficient based on the curve/line that various people attempt to draw through it.

FWIW I think that the literature at the link you cited is credible and there probably is a statistically significant link between higher gun ownership and more deaths by guns, even after you correct for race, income, education, etc. I also think that the magnitude of the association varies dramatically enough from state to state (and probably from county to county and zip-code to zip-code) that it's difficult for me to draw any silver-bullet type policy conclusions from the data. Lots and lots of guns in ND and UT and hardly any murders, lots of guns and lots of murders anyplace where there's a preponderance of Baptist Churches.

Anyhow - if there's a better plot of the same data out there, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Well, bud, you think about me a HELL of a lot more than vice versa. Guess a feller's gotta have something to fill the time.

I find Ivan delightfully egoless, generous, and either brave or bent, if in a nihilist sort of way, but you have to get him, I suppose.

Later.

Ivan, egoless. Now that is funny.

why don't we all stop bitching and go climb " stone soup" :wave: my route :wave: if that and 99 tr's doesn't scream ego i don't know what does. sometimes i wonder if people are climbing for the right reasons sickie

el cap is pretty much a giant peg board these days... i'm not trying to take anything away from you cause i think any el cap route is an achievement. shit i think if you go to work everyday and are a good citizen you're good in my book.

but all bullshit aside that's sorta how you treat people mister...

Pink, I'm telling you there's an Etiquette Text in you if you can just reach inside more.

I don't give a baggy of shit about what you think about anything I do, buddy. You oughta know that by now.

Look, you've got your scrotum wrapped around everything you do - the dead lift and 20 year old Nose pics on FB, n thas coo n all, but I've got a different deal going on. I'm alive, uninjured (OK, I'm slightly injured right now), healthy, and still diggin' it more than ever, so I'm good. El Cap was magic. Everybody made it down. I learned a ton of shit and expanded my universe a bit. That's all I care about.

Kayaking, backpacking, aid climbing, skiing, lamps, relationships, whatev. They're all part Heaven and part Hell, but mostly the former these days. I don't expect you to grok it, but, then, you don't really need to.

Some folks like writing stories and sharing them. Ain't no ego in it, save perhaps a healthy one.

Imagine a world without that.

The silence....

....interrupted only be the gentle rustle of pink's scrotum as it gently sways between his knees.

i'd much rather wrap my goat sac around you, sexy little man :hcluv:

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

DSC03363.JPG

:lmao:

was just think'n how good it is that none of you boys have got guns and/or how grand it is to be separated from each other by 18 inches of interwebz

anyhow, whatevers - would dig on climbing an el cap wall w/ the 4 motley fools heckling on this page as a group - bet it would be me n' pink leading most the pitches n' pat n' dave squabbling over who gets the belay chair and the bong - oughta be able to wought the ensuing epic into ego-stoking trip #100 (oh, how my id feels the horrible pressure of making that one right)

jay, i'm not questioning the state gun ownership vs homicide rate graph, just wanna know the source before i show it to real people and am disinterested in doing homework beyond the stack of shit i already have before me

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

DSC03363.JPG

:lmao:

was just think'n how good it is that none of you boys have got guns and/or how grand it is to be separated from each other by 18 inches of interwebz

anyhow, whatevers - would dig on climbing an el cap wall w/ the 4 motley fools heckling on this page as a group - bet it would be me n' pink leading most the pitches n' pat n' dave squabbling over who gets the belay chair and the bong - oughta be able to wought the ensuing epic into ego-stoking trip #100 (oh, how my id feels the horrible pressure of making that one right)

jay, i'm not questioning the state gun ownership vs homicide rate graph, just wanna know the source before i show it to real people and am disinterested in doing homework beyond the stack of shit i already have before me

i'd never waste a bullet on #trashtalkingtina

Pink, I'm telling you there's an Etiquette Text in you if you can just reach inside more.

I don't give a baggy of shit about what you think about anything I do, buddy. You oughta know that by now.

Look, you've got your scrotum wrapped around everything you do - the dead lift and 20 year old Nose pics on FB, n thas coo n all, but I've got a different deal going on. I'm alive, uninjured (OK, I'm slightly injured right now), healthy, and still diggin' it more than ever, so I'm good. El Cap was magic. Everybody made it down. I learned a ton of shit and expanded my universe a bit. That's all I care about.

Kayaking, backpacking, aid climbing, skiing, lamps, relationships, whatev. They're all part Heaven and part Hell, but mostly the former these days. I don't expect you to grok it, but, then, you don't really need to.

You too need to get a room and screw.