TR-North Face of Chair, where are the climbers??

CascadeClimber

I soloed the North Face of Chair today. It's in excellent shape and the approach is as easy as I've seen it (I was 60 minutes lot to Thumbtack). A windless, sunny day and the only other climbers I saw were going up the descent gully. Where is everyone??

Notes: The first pitch, which is the crux, is in great shape and will take some short screws. Most of the rest of the route is neve, so pickets would work better. The upper part of the NE Buttress route looked to have a good bit of unconsolidated snow on it and no tracks at all. I was able to downclimb the entire descent- no rap required.

Important: The schrund that forms at the start of the first pitch was entirely covered with just a little sag to note its location. The bridge isn't strong enough to hold a person, so use caution crossing.

Go get on it!

Edited by CascadeClimber

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, very busy. I believe we were second in line, but weren't sure if we were really going to have a go at it (a little over our head) so we checked out the route, let those behind us get on and traded in for the consolation prize... chunky variable snow on the north face to snow lake. Conditions on the approach held great snow in the AM, but rather sun effected my PM.

Here's a shot of the beginning of first pitch.

[img:center]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/uploads/22119/20130113-IMG_5242.jpg[/img]

We climbed yesterday, second on the line, after the team above which decided to give up waiting, after us another team finished at night (waiting at the tree of the second pitch due to the ice falling). The first pitch is the only one where you can use ice screws, (recommended short), third and last pitch with inconsistent snow, possibilities for rock protection. Crusting and swimming in the snow with difficult protection to the col cornice. Pleasant day for summiting late in the day, gorgeous day and views. Other two teams, at least, gave up, yes too many people there on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...