Top-roping...new to vertical ice.

Zohyil

Some friends and I are traveling out from the east coast for some rock and ice climbing for a few months, arriving in the northwest area probably early February. We've done a fair amount of rock climbing, but want to switch to ice.

What are some of the best locations for learning ice out in your area(s)? We want to spend a lot of time learning how to climb ice and place protection well before thinking about leading on ice or doing anything multi-pitch.

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stop off in ouray CO before coming hear. relatively speaking, we got nothing here and that is not some elitist "keep our secrets a secret" "locals only" thing either.

stay in the riverside lodge (I believe) for cheap stay. get free hot pool vouchers. climb more ice on TR in a day than we got in the entire state for a season. (slight exaggeration)

Or go to banff but ouray is more beginner friendly.

The best thing is get the washington ice guide. REI has it and the libary does too. The place that i went to learn was banks lake. Peewee area has some stuff you can bush wack to the top of and TR. Plus you can lead devils punch bowl easy WI2. Then once at the top set up a TR to the left on wi4.

Good luck

Try to find someone to bring you who knows what they are doing.