First Ascents 2012

mattp

The American Alpine Journal publishes reports of first ascents for climbs grade IV or above each year. A summary section for each state can include mention of grade III climbs. I'm working with AAJ editors and local Washington reporters to compile a summary for the year 2012 for Washington state.

They are interested in the peak, route aspect, route name (if not just SW Face of blah blah blah), first ascent party, and maybe a one to sixteen word statement about it. Please send messages via private message here or e-mail to matt-at-mattsea.com.

This is a worthy project. In the past I and many of my friends did not publish our first ascents and the result was that subsequent climbers reported their first ascents and we were then placed in the odd position of having to decide whether or not to note that we did the same route maybe as much as 20 years ago. Reporting is OK even if you don't want to "brag."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Matt is already aware of it, but this page lists the potential new routes that I've recorded since the last NWMJ was published in 2010.

http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/inbox.html

These routes haven't been vetted by NWMJ editors. There may be some that wouldn't be published if we did a full-blown editorial review of them.