Blackberry cultivation tips

tvashtarkatena

So far I've cut and painted them with Roundup - they seem to like it. They come up here and there - no dense thicket...yet.

Looking for a Plan B. My thoughts so far:

Spray paint "SECESSION NOW!" on the garage door, toss a live grenade into the street, let ATF do the rest.

Establish a Homicidal Goat Shelter.

"Himalayan Berry Farm and U-Pick Auto Parts, LLC"

Kudzu.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Woodinville and spent much of my childhood clearing blackberry bushes.

What I found to be the most effective was a gas-powered weed trimmer with a round metal saw-blade attachment (they sell them specifically for blackberries and other thick-stalked weeds) -- take everything down to the ground, and then dig out as much of the root as possible, and then use a ground tiller to tear up the ground and rip out any more roots, and then carefully comb all those roots out of the soft ground, and keep an eye on the area and till it again once you see any new shoots.

We tried a flame thrower and actually caught an entire underground root system on fire -- have you ever seen an underground fire? really weird! and dangerous.

Had some luck with Crossbow pesticide, picked up at McLendon's in Woodinville. I think I had to sign a notice that's delivered to homeland security or some such nonsense so you know it must be good stuff. It's also the only thing I've found effective on Horsetail weeds.

Probably the same thing now available on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Crossbow-Herbicide-Specialty-gallon-55555282/dp/B004HFJ762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357596044&sr=8-1&keywords=crossbow+herbicide

Roundup just makes it angry. It's like trying to take down a herd of buffalo with a pellet gun. :mad:

PNW is the absolute worst for blackberries.

You don't say.

Not that I'd expect a keener sense of observation from a Bozemanite.

Well shit, in MT we hunt and peck any berry of any sort. In WA we complain because there are too many and some have stickers.

(But I spent 23 yrs. in WA and know what you are talking about). Just trying to fun everybody before the Tide roll the Golden Domers.

Edited by matt_warfield

I scanned that article and didn't see the technique that we found easy and effective. Maybe I missed it.

To kill Himalaya Blackberry, cut it down, dig it up as best you can, and haul the debris away. Cover the affected area with a barrier (we used coffee sacks, anchored with gardening stakes, but I am told that newspaper several pages thick will do, and then cover that with wood chips. Leave it alone for two years. Turn over the soil and plant whatever you want to grow.

The blackberry roots will have died because they didn't have photosynthesis feeding for two years.

No weed killers and, after the initial battle, not a lot of ongoing physical effort.

At a former property I eradicated it from a stone wall by simply steadily removing it for a couple of years. If you prevent it from growing - at all - it will give up.