soft or flexible thermos?

genepires

Anyone know of a flexi water bottle capable of holding boiling water or a thermos that is soft? I don't think that putting boiling water in a platypus or drom bag is a good idea. Maybe I am wrong. I would like to get some kind of thermos that can go in a backpack and not be such a pain in the back while riding a ski lift. Simple google searches came up with nothing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of a flexible thermos, since the thermos needs that vacuum insulation property in order to maintain the hot or cold beverage. I have put pretty hot beverages into a platypus with no problems, and then they compress down as you consume the fluid.

For resort skiing a thermos is not too big to sit in your pack. For backcountry skiing, a thermos is required since having your water freeze out there really sucks.

gene, look into hydroflask. nice vacuum sealed bottles that are better than a thermos (imo). produced in china but based out of bend oregon. for extreme climbers probably too heavy but they of what they make the 40oz wide mouth and the 23oz (i think) narrow mouth are the two with the best weight/volume ratio. i took the 40oz full of steaming hot Gatorade up rainier and it was nice.

though i'll keep an eye on this thread as if there is a flexible one for boiling hot water that'd be nice..

my wife got a camelbak chill water bottle from her sister for xmass and I used it ice climbing and it worked fine with hot cocoa. You can lock the valve, but no promises on the lid popping off. I'd stomp on it, but i've ruined enough of my wife's things already. It is soft and insulated.

i bet those platypus wine containers would work great if you made a sleeve for them

You can put boiling liquid in your standard camelbak bladder. Allegedly, you can boil water IN a camelbak but when survivorman tried it he melted a hole in his.

I've put nearly boiling water into both my camelbak and platypus bladders and experienced no problems with either.

My concern with the usual bladders was chemicals leaching out in the boiling water. maybe it is unfounded. I don't know.

what is know is that my kid likes cocoa and the thermos in the pack sucks when I sit against a back rest on the chair. Maybe I need to put more stuff in the pack.

doesn't have to be a thermos as I could insulated it with foam or something.

will look into using the camelback bladders. It looks like the chill bottles don't collapse or conform in a pack. maybe they do.

thanks y'all!

It probably does leach into your beverage but since my camelbak usually just tastes like mold I don't tend to notice. My kidneys might. I know that drinking anything other than water out of any of them requires a detailed cleanup otherwise you'll run into the aforementioned mold issue inside the tube or bight valve.

This might work for you. Get some of that aluminized bubble wrap. It's found at hardware stores and used for insulating duct work. Also get some metalized tape. Make a pouch large enough to encapsulate your platipus or other water carrier. Weighs almost nothing, a flexable thermos..

I made pouches for Qt. freezer bags for cook in bag stuff like ramen noodles etc. works pretty good for keeping stuff hot while it's softening things up, and doesn't dirty up your cook ware.I left a pencil size gap in one corner to drain spilled liguids.