[TR] Sun Valley, Idaho - Morgan ridge 12/30/2013

jordansahls

Trip: Sun Valley, Idaho - Morgan ridge

Date: 12/30/2013

Trip Report:

A group of us (five total) drove to Ketchum to partake in some good old fashion New Years debauchery. We also decided it would be an excellent time to take advantage of the perfect terrain and lushes pow.

First time skiing in Idaho. I have to say, it was absolutely amazing! Cold dry temps, lots of sun during the days, and amazing powder to ski. That's a win, win, win.

The access and quality of the skiing was so amazing that a friend and I joked about it being too easy (you mean we don't have to bushwack, tree hop, road skin, stream cross, jungle gym, or sink up to our waists to access perfect pow?)

Can't wait to go back.

Hooligans on parade

Hooligans.jpg

Lines everywhere!

down_low.jpg

Working up the ridge

z_climbs_up.jpg

New Years eve coors break

coors_break.jpg

The cycle of life

bird_wins.jpg

Getting closer

jordan_climbing_up.jpg

Ridge traverse paradise

ridge_traverse1.jpg

So this is why they call it Sun Valley

views_from_top.jpg

Our line down (ridge in the center)

our_tracks_down.jpg

Gear Notes:

Sun screen, skis, music, the usual stuff

Approach Notes:

Drive

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on a few trips to Sun Valley but at the ski area not backcountry. But Exhibition was a trip and debauchery was also involved.

From Montana, many a road trip involved buying Coors in Idaho in bulk and bringing it back. At the time it was the beer du jour and worth risking your neck for.

Thanks for the TR.

Edited by matt_warfield

great bird strike photo! what is the spread on those tips? owl? looks like a big hawk.

Spent some time at the ski area in early 80,s, couple times. What a weird place. Had no idea that's where super rich guys went for other 'things', than skiing, till then. Lot of empty shells walking around ... You guys don't look like one of 'them'.

great bird strike photo! what is the spread on those tips? owl? looks like a big hawk.

Spent some time at the ski area in early 80,s, couple times. What a weird place. Had no idea that's where super rich guys went for other 'things', than skiing, till then. Lot of empty shells walking around ... You guys don't look like one of 'them'.

You should check out Aspen or Whistler to find some emptier shells. Sun Valley is on the B list for ski area posers.

I think the wingspan was around 3 feet. I was actually very surprised at the feel around Ketchum which was mostly pleasant. You can tell there is money in the area, but there are a large number of decent folks and a good local culture. Certainly nothing like Vail or Aspen which both had a super ritzy douche feel. Still, it was my first time to the area so I could have missed something.

In the region you can make judgement on status if you ask the simple questions

• Full time, or part time valley resident?
  • How far south (outside) of the center of Sun Vally Town do you live?

If you live there full time and your house is a half hour or more south of Sun Valley Town you are not among the elite residents. Maybe elite isn't the correct adjective, but you can probably guess the meaning.

Elites still need minimum wage helpers, or rif-raf.