[TR] Mt. Shasta - Casaval Ridge 5/6/2012

Dale Smith

Trip: Mt. Shasta - Casaval Ridge

Date: 5/6/2012

Trip Report:

My good rock climbing friend told me he wanted to do a tall mountain, where you had to use crampons and and ax. so I told him right away, let's do Casaval ridge up Shasta. we got another friend of ours to climb it with us, seeing as he had done avy gulch before.

we camped in the parking lot where we got our permits, left at 0300hrs. the snow was pretty hard in the morning so it was crampons on right away. went across the end of avy gulch, and caught the ridge. The beginning was not to steep, but as we went along there were a few tricky sections, we passed alot of tents on our way up. finally, an hour and a half after our turn around time we finally made it to misery hill. one of our party was feeling pretty beaten up because of the altitude. so we decided to leave the summit for another day. I strapped on my snowboard and got back to the car in 20 min. then about 3hrs later here comes the other two in my party.

all in all it was a great trip. beautiful day and a great ride down 01210.JPG

0148.JPG

01910.JPG

0218.JPG

0336.JPG0345.JPG0388.JPG0406.JPG0456.JPG0503.JPG

Gear Notes:

crampons, single ax. snowboard(split board if you have one)

Approach Notes:

the spiny ridge to the left of avy gulch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny to find this trip report on here as I just signed up for CascadeClimbers now. I met you guys on the ridge just prior to the catwalk crux section and later ran into you in the parking lot. I was the mid-20's guy in black /w a Golite pack soloing it.

I actually got a good picture of you guys at the top of that gnarly 1000 foot climb just prior to the catwalk: http://amity.be/casaval.jpg

Climb on!