Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber


      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

TR-Gib Ledges Attempt 11/30-12/1

Recommended Posts

We wanted to take advantage of the great forecast and get out for a late season trip up the big R. Rumors were that Gib Ledges might be snow covered and in fine shape, so we headed up to Muir on Sat. under clear skies and warm temps. No new snow in a while made for great walking and we arrived at Muir with the afternoon masses. We slept in a bit and got going about 3:30 after a night of relative quiet in the shelter (there were only two others spending the night). Conditions were great for cramponing with firm icy snow the whole way up to Gib Rock. The low snow cover made the going a little trickier than it probably would be in the winter (had to detour around rock bands and cracks), but it still wasn't too bad. We started across the Ledges after a couple of hours and then ran out of snow at the point where you drop down a bit before continuing over to the chute. So lacking the desire to traverse steep choss, we turned around and found a good spot to watch the sunrise. It was so calm that you could have lit a candle up at 12,000'!! So even though we turned around quite a bit short we had a great time and had the mountain to ourselves. That's right NO other people were climbing from the Muir area this weekend-I was amazed.


The route would go if you were made of tougher stuff than us, things looked fine once you got to the saddle next to Gib rock. I'd be curious if anyone else climbs the whole route in the next week or so what the conditions were like.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heinrich...nice TR, and the route update is appreciated. Maybe some of the recent precip has covered the ledges?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this