OR Store

Doug

I usually don't rant on these sort of things, bu I really feel compelled this time. I stopped off at the OR Store on the way home today. I went there to exchange a pair of low gaiters that I got earlier this year. One of the snaps broke.

Apparently their return policy is that the returned booty needs to go through the warranty dept.. From there they'll give you a call and let you know whether or not they'll replace the crap you returned.

I could have gone to REI and they wold have replaced them on the spot, no questions asked.

That wouldn't have been so bad if the guy working there had any kind of a personality! In fact he was somewhat rude. I went in there with simple intentions but left feeling like I just visited an establishment that really doesn't give a rip wheter or not I ever give them my business again!

Anyone else run into that there?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar experience when a friend and I went in to return a very expensive pair of gloves he had purchased. The seams had jsut fallen apart after minimal use. The dork behind the counter tried to tell us the damage was normal wear and tear. The kicker is there was an identical pair of gloves on the counter that had also fallen apart at the seams. We convinced him to exchange the gloves. I will never buy any OR product.

What does REI actually stand for:

REturn Every Item

Return Everything Immediately

Return Equipment Indefinitely

My friends and I have so many REI stories we've lost count. But I've lowered my expectations so low, I don't get so worked up during my occasional visits there.

Let me see REI you can return just about anything, they have been in this state forever they hire climbers hikers and outdoor type people. There a co-op so all the money doesn't go into one dudes pocket.

Try reading REI 50 years of climbing together.REI last year gave over 20,000 to the access fund I recently bought a !!!!! Scree pack it killed my back I sure was glad I bought it at REI instead of !!!!! or I would have been stuck with it there return policy is ,you went out the store with it it's yours .And I love that REI 10% back and there used gear sale.How much gear is in your closet that sucked and you couldn't use .Anyone want to buy that wild things Ice Sac pack thats been in my closet for two years the mag gear reviewers forgot to mention it sucks with a heavy load.

[This message has been edited by LUCKY (edited 09-12-2001).]

Perhaps the original intent of the thread was lost. I was ranting about Outdoor Reasearch (OR) retail store on 1st Ave. in Seattle. If I would have taken the gaiters to REI, they would have replaced them on the spot, no questions asked. Even though I didn't buy them there.

Not that I'm defending REI. I quit shopping there about a year after the new store opened downtown.

quote:

Originally posted by LUCKY:

But Lucky, you see, there are all those beginner bumblys, bird watchers, hikers, shiny SUV owners there. It's just too clean and pretty and, yak, they sell trendy gimmicks there. It doesn't have the most advanced gear and the best in their fields as employees that can give instant beta and spend their nights studying all the pieces of equipment there are in the store. I just found out that nobody in the climbing dept climbs M10, outrageous, they don't deserve that $8/hour!!! The return policy is such a disgusting rule that every reasonable climber should be picketing at the store demanding to abolish it. How can you even think of shopping there?

My point was Buy from who gives back,Look at the corporate partners of the Access Fund ,Everyone on this sprayboard does belong don't they?? REI doesn't usually carry cutting edge climbing equipment ,Then I buy from small shops like Pro MT sports or Alpine Experence(they always seam to treat me good) Its always nice to see climbings bums on staff.

[This message has been edited by LUCKY (edited 09-12-2001).]

$1,000 vs. $20,000.

Who gave more?

Maybe consider percentage of pre-tax profits...I bet that OR and Marmot's contributions may be similar or even exceed REI's if you think of it that way. What made me think of this is that $20,000 IS chump change to REI. Not that it isn't good for the access fund.

I think REI is a horrible place to buy climbing gear. For one thing, they are always out of something basic, like webbing or cord. Pretty much every time I go there, they send me to Feathered Friends. The only times I go there now is if I really know exactly what name brand item I want, in which case I will accept their 10% back, or when I need to spend a gift certificate or my dividend. They still have a few climbers working there, but it seems like whenever I go there its a non-climber. I had to get behind the counter and point to the piece of gear I wanted the last time I was there because the person didn't know what it was.

Its sad, because REI used to be for climbers, but it just isn't any more. Its all about their new dept they are introducing, "family camping". Somehow they think thats new, seems like to me its been their deal for awhile.

My favorite climbing store is Valhalla Pure. Murray rocks!

Valhalla Pure vs. Climb On is a whole other thread topic. I'm glad they are both in Squamish because they complement each other nicely. I have to say I like Climb-On better than V Pure but I'm not saying either of them is a bad store. Climb On was the first store in the whole Squamish-Vancouver corridor to carry GiGi's and Kong Adjustable Fifi's... and those weird universal pitons. still don't know anyone who has actually found one of those pins useful but they sure look neat rolleyes.gif

How many of you guys have taken advantage of that liberal return policy, and yet still trash REI? They certainly aren't the same company they were when they started, but everyone, including REI, knows that. I think it's irresponsible to have non-climbers selling technical gear and the REI brand is a knock-off of last year's technology, but they don't misrepresent themselves as the experts in the field anymore. If I need advice on gear I know not to go there, just like I know not to walk into Eddie Bauer. That's what Pro Mountain Sports, Feathered Friends and Marmot is for.

It's true: REI is just too easy to pick on if you're talking about climbing gear (or boating gear, for that matter). Once they made the Big Decision to become a KMart of the outdoors in the late 70s, which entailed reselling lots of cheap clothing and getting as big as possible, they lost any ability they might have once had to offer consistently good advice. It is truly remarkable how a store with alleged "departments" can't seem to hire/retain salespeople who can answer even the simplest questions about gear. They have used the "democratic" approach for years in recommending stuff: lots of people bought that, so it must be okay.

Perhaps I was unresponsive to the original thread because I haven't had the trouble with OR that you had. Years ago, when I needed an OR gaiter repaired, I absent mindedly sent in both in the pair. Not only was the one I wanted repaired fixed for no charge, the other one also came back with new Velcro and reinforcing stitching.

OR Does make solid gear, and has for years- my OR croc gaiters are 8 years old, easy, and I've trashed 'em and repaired 'em and replaced straps and buckles and the velcro once too and they refuse to die- If you remember back 15 years or so, OR overmitts were THE cutting edge winter handwear, nothing came close, although Dashteins did work pretty good.

I agree with returning new items if they've failed, less comfortable with people returning really old trashed out gear to REI, we've all heard the stories! and it tends to lower my opinion of people-

I have had good experience with OR gear and have had the warranty dept repair gear properly and timely.

I can see why they would want to keep the store seperate from the warranty dept....but they should still ACCEPT the item and hand it into warranty.

I agree REI has plenty of problems, lack of stock of basic itmes is a major problem, and failure to carry cutting edge or even specialty gear is another. As far as staff goes...welcome to a good economy.

I try to shop small stores such as second ascent in Ballard and Nelson's shop when possible.

REI actually contributed more than $100,000 to the Access Fund this year. They've also given tons more to other groups over the years. The total outdoor industry is tiny compared to other retailers (i.e., Wal-Mart and K-Mart). Keep it all in perspective.

The OR Store on 1st Avenue is kind of odd, but I haven't ever needed to return anything.

quote:

Originally posted by bobinc:

What does REI actually stand for:

REturn Every Item

Return Everything Immediately

Return Equipment Indefinitely

I know, this thread isn't really about REI, but I have to share this.

I stopped by the Lynnwood store on Saturday, on the way home from a birthday party with my son. Noticed they had their "garage sale" or "attic sale" or whatever they call it, so I went over to look at the table. There was the usual mismatched / mangled stuff, and... a three-year old (according to the tag) canvas hat, dirty and obviously well-used, torn across the crown. Someone had decided after three years of apparently hard use that they were entitled to a refund, and REI apparently happily agreed. Makes you wonder...

[This message has been edited by Alpine Tom (edited 09-21-2001).]

i'd have to agree with you on that one alpine tom. people that think rei or any retail store for that matter is some sort of equipment leasing agency, is way off base. i am sure you could consider some people's actions as criminal with thier return and exchange inc.... i might not be the best citizen, but i do know from right and wrong and try to subsist comfortably in the middle. with my morrals taking control.