Everest

ScottP

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super cool photo.

I was asked if I was interested in going to/climbing Everest recently and I responded that I have really never had an interest in Everest considering all the beautiful challenging things to do here in the US (Alaska included) minus the cost and crowds.

Looking at this photo and the mess that is Everest Base camp only confirms my feelings, what a zoo that looks like. Quite the opposite of what draws me out of doors.

That is a very cool pic Scott.

I highly recommend the Everest trek for the over 50 crowd. I did it in '04 with a friend. We did a big loop up from Lukla through Gokyo, hiked up Gokyo Ri, then over Cho La pass to Labuche to Gorakshep, hiked up Kala Pattar then headed down through Tengboche, Pheriche etc...

I used to think it would be cool to climb Everest, but as things are now not so much. The trek was a great experience all round though and not as expensive as one would think. We used Airline points to get us to Bankok and back which reduced the out of pocket costs significantly.

Just to see those mountains was enough for me. I'd like to go back someday and do the Annapurna trek with the wife...

d

Doug- I wouldn't bother with the Annapurna trek. I know we were pretty disappointed with it compared to the Khumbu, and now there is a road most of the way around that really changes the character of it. The Annapurna Sanctuary is quite nice, but still pales in comparison to the Everest region (though the food tends to be better). I'm sure there are other areas of the Himalaya that are amazing though....

The Khumbu is worth a visit for every mountain lover, the Western masses don't matter when you have views like are in the photo above. Stunning!

I was not looking forward to the crowds for our trip but as it turned out, interacting with people from all over the world ended up being a large part of the fun. There was a group of Swiss I think that when we summited Gokyo Ri they were singing and clapping for us upon our arrival. Very cool... The weather was mostly shitty on our trip but this day was pretty nice for us.

Everest from the summit of Gokyo Ri in '04. W Ridge... As I enjoyed this view, I thought about Unseld and Hornbein on that first ascent in '63...

car_050.jpg

• 3 weeks later...