Fat skin recomends

ketch

I jumped up my fatties near the end of last season. Soon to be out where I want to do some full on earnin with em. The new boards are 158/127/148. The only skins I know at that size is the ascension splits. I love my other BD skins but I have heard mixed reviews of the splits. Anyone have experience or thoughts before I take of with I new set of ???

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 130mm g3 alpinists cut wall to wall (no edge showing except at the tip tetonat style http://www.tetonat.com/2009/01/30/cutting-climbing-skin-video-tutorial/) for my bd justice which are 138/111/123 and they work well. If I had your skis I would probally go for the 140 g3 and have a bit of edge showing at the tip and tail.

Being skinier, more flexible and having more glide then the bd skins are all nice in skis that fat...I might even consider a mohair mix with a super wide ski as lots of people really love the light skins that dynafit makes for their fatter skis.

Buy some B&D ski crampons if you are worried about edging ability: http://www.bndskigear.com/dynafitcrampons.html

I have a pair of BD Splits for my Voile Drifters (130 underfoot). They work great, and the weight and bulk savings is noticeable. The one thing that I imagine people complain about, and took me a while to learn, is that, SURPRISE, there is no traction in the center of your ski.

What this means is that if you are climbing a beaten in skin track with ridges or just on hard snow with a flat ski you can "ridge out" on that center strip, and lose traction a bit. They climb tenaciously in the fresh and on a little edge, so I've learned, when this happens, to either step into the fresh or roll a ski on edge to re-engage the fur.

Wider skis are harder to sidehill with when it gets firmer due to leverage issues, so ski crampons are more beneficial to the big boards, FYI.

Thanks all, It seems that the deal would be the G3 140's with some crampons. I have been a wall to wall fan for a long time but the splits kinda mess up that school of thought. I post up on how that seems to go after a few times out.

Although Daves idea of goin with uncut 125's and returning em is kinda interesting. Can you say "shop the evil empire" lol

• 4 weeks later...