Where is the Outrage? part II.

Fairweather

With all the paranoid lefties here on spray howling about perceived government intrusions into their privacy, I am surprised that no one is outraged about The Campaign Finance Reform Act. This bill denies "special interests" the right to campaign/lobby/advertise 30 days prior to an election. Keep in mind that a "special interest" group covers the political spectrum from The NRA to The Sierra Club, to Emily's List, to AARP.

Only "the media" will be able to feed us the information we need about a particular candidate or issue. And we all know how responsible and un-biased the media is.

So much for freedom of speech. Signing this Democrat inspired bill (and yes, John Mcain is a Democrat) in the stupidest thing GW has done.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I seem to remember reading about lots of right wing paranoid fucks living in some shack and holding off the FBI with a huge supply of guns.

Didn't the government building in Oklahoma City get blown up by an exmilitary right wing wacco.

You right wing guys have plenty of paranoid fucks on your side.

I'm pretty outraged that I worked all day on some stupid rap concert and came home to this....

Ah yes why should a woman like Allison, with such refined tastes, be subject to such vile forms of entertainment. The Theatre is where she belongs *

*Stick your nose up in the air, ram something up your ass, and repeat the sentences in green with a super snotty British accent. tongue.gif

Actually, I too am outraged by the new privacy intrusions as I've stated in earlier threads. I am questioning the lack of similar outrage re: Campain Finance Reform which, as written, is at least as great an offense to personal liberty. Campaign finance Reform, and the free speech infringements therein, seems to be more palatable to the liberals here for some reason. Do they support the curtailment of SOME liberties they don't think citizens "deserve", but cry outrage (!) when their favorites are threatened?

Well, I'm outraged that ya'll have hijacked us into character assasination.

Anyway, yes Fairweather, I'm not in favor of the recent campaign finance reform, but I don't know that I embrace the notion that dollars equal speech. In any case, it feels less of a threat to individual liberty than the current information insanity being railed against elsewhere. Campaign finance reform is in theory intended to diffuse power, while the other issue is working to concentrate it in particular entities, so this is why it doesn't make me as nervous. You as an individual are still free to give your money to the candidate of your choice.

There are all kinds of paranoid people out there, but none of them ever predict any of the big things that actually happen, they just go on about a lot of stuff that turns out to be meaningless. Paranoia is a waste of time, when something gets ya you won't see it coming anyway. Being well informed and concerned is good, but being scared of shadows is a waste of time and energy.

Hey OW who's quote is on your autosig, or is it yours?

You're missing the point that CFR PROHIBITS speech prior to an election. The money issue aside, this is a huge problem for me. I have to ask myself why incumbent candidates would vote to prohibit advocacy adds in the final days of a campaign. Answer: because they know that that is the only way that their opponents, most relatively unknown and unproven, get in front of voters. This is a way to give incumbents an advantage in getting THEIR message out just prior to an election.

There are all kinds of paranoid people out there, but none of them ever predict any of the big things that actually happen, they just go on about a lot of stuff that turns out to be meaningless. Paranoia is a waste of time, when something gets ya you won't see it coming anyway. Being well informed and concerned is good, but being scared of shadows is a waste of time and energy.

MOST WELL SAID cool.gif

Where do you draw the line between paranoia and just taking precautions? I carry a gun when I am out in public with my family. In light of the potential danger of someone trying to steal my daughter, am I being paranoid or just cautious?

greg, you are a paranoid freak! of course I have boys and two of them to boot... if they were in the car with a loaded wepon it is far more likely that one of my children would wind up dead than that some one would nab them.

I NEVER LET THEM OUT OF MY SITE>>>NEVER

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

SK; I too never let my daughter out of my sight, or reach for that matter. However, the unexpected CAN happen - toddlers run ahead and maybe don't listen or react fast enough. I just feel that it is good to be a bit better prepared. If you had a loaded weapon in the car, I would assume your boys would be strapped into proper child-restraint devices as approved by the NTSB, NHTA, and AAA. wink.gif