Best place near Seattle for trad gear practice?

jk82

Hey everyone,

Just moved to Seattle, and wanting to brush back up on my gear placement / anchor building efficiency. Where's the closest place to Seattle with enough different cracks, etc. to offer enough variety for ~4 hrs. of practice?

I should add - doesn't have to be somewhere with climbable routes - just somewhere to place gear while standing on the ground.

Thanks!

Edited by jk82

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add - doesn't have to be somewhere with climbable routes - just somewhere to place gear while standing on the ground.

If you want a close in place to practice - check out the Mountaineer's Wall at Magnuson Park. It also offers some good anchors, to work on that procedure as well.

www.examiner.com/article/the-mountaineers-climbing-wall-at-seattle-s-magnuson-park

The Exit 32 - Li'l SI and Exit 38 area in North Bend, while mostly sport routes can also have a few cracks to mess around with.

The Mountaineers wall in Magnuson also has some granite boulders stacked up around the perimiter that make up some cracks between the rocks to build anchors in if you are just desperate for an after work practice session in the winter or something. Or the retaining wall north of Golden Gardens. Also the SR 900 drytool crag has some crappy cliffs nearby I've used for copperheading/pin practice a long time ago, muddy and chossy.

Exit 32 and 32 have some cracks if you look around. Index of course has beautiful routes to climb as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Find a rock retaining wall. The ones built of three man size rock, stacked five to six feet high, or even the smaller rock size walls. They have multiple crack options of various sizes, for placing gear and building anchors. If you keep an eye out, you’ll probably find one in a publicly accessible place, close to where you live; shopping centers, business parks, along the rail tracks on the shoreline, or your neighbor’s backyard.