Friendlist climbing spot

plexus

Just finished talking with a new co-worker from Utah. Among our talk we were discussing fav. climbing spots. I told her about Exit 38 and how I don't like it. And my dislike stems from the times I've been there, the people around were, well assholes, showing off, etc. That's not saying everybody that climbs there is wasting oxygen.

So what climbig places have been your favorite based on the fellow climbers? Obviously I'd say in the mountains where on a climb where there is nobody around for miles. But all in all, I'd say Yosemite was the nicest place I've climbed. Shared a rope with a few parties, good talks and brew in Camp 4. Second place would go to Joshua Tree and third would go to Squamish (only one bad experience where I threatened to pummel a group racing past us to get on The Snake with my large hex evils3d.gif)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

canada has always been very friendly to me. Witness the niceness in the bluffs in squamish on a weekend. Lots of cool people in skaha as well. Same goes for the bugs. In fact the only ass I have ever dealt with in canada was a yank.

City of Rocks. Tons of cool people. Is it the mormon influence? Is it the fact there are no real "locals"? Maybe just mellow magic eminating from the weird blobs of granite. Whatever the case, bunch of cool people there.

I hear the indoor wall at REI is friendly...Since I just got back from Josh I would have to agree that the folks there are friendly, except when it comes to campsites. People can be pretty militant about that, but it's totally understandable due to the circumstances.

dirty-8 prolly has that vibe cause Seattle folk go out there and have their first bolt clippin' epics and think they are hardmen/women.

OK you want elitism! Here's a story from down at Cochise Stronghold. We were out in the West side (undeveloped, nice free camping). There were these two totally standoffish guys camped across the road. Would always avoid eye contact and if it was made they'd just scowl. We came upon them lurking in the bushes on our way out from a climb and they just beat it out of the bush and took off like flushed game. Anyway...so there was this other guy we ran into there. He was pumping us for detailed beta on how to get to a climb, and asked if it was quiet at this campspot. When he started going on about how he needs his quiet and hopes we're not loud, it became apparent he was pretty neurotic about this stuff. Well anyway, this is getting way long for a minimal punchline. So after the neurotic guy pumps us for beta, he heads over to the scowly guys. He asks them if it is quiet here and they reply, "It was until you came by!" HA! Then they just ignored him until he left. bigdrink.gifrockband.gif

As far as the original subject goes, I think people have been friendly almost everywhere I've climbed, so mostly only the exceptions stand out (where people have been jerks). The gym can get pretty tense sometimes, as can Vantage. pitty.gif

I like gettting hostile with people at the crags. It's one of my favorite past times. As a matter of fact I just sit around and wait for the scrawny jerks to instigate it first. It works every time. I find it funny how some people so small can act so big bigdrink.gif After they instigate it I usually have them in shut the fuck up mode within 15 seconds. pitty.giffruit.gif

What's "bumping uglies" mean?

So speaking of aggro tensenessosity. I was walking in to work on the BG trail today and there was a bunch of people walking in front of me. One guy in the loose pack was a bit to the left of the center. Along comes some guy on a bike and "ding ding ding ding ding"'s his bell thingy. The guy left of center didn't seem to be moving out of the way (I think this is the best thing when somebody starts ringing their little warning bells, just stay the course, don't make any sudden moves, be predictable so the speeding biker can avoid you easily). Anyway, the biker is yelling "bike on left" and the guy still doesn't move over so the biker rides by him and reaches out and pushes the guy!! Aggro dude! bigdrink.gif

Speaking of aggro bikers, how many of you out there have crossed paths with that "cussing lady"? You'd know if you did! hahaha.gif

I like gettting hostile with people at the crags. It's one of my favorite past times. As a matter of fact I just sit around and wait for the scrawny jerks to instigate it first. It works every time. I find it funny how some people so small can act so big After they instigate it I usually have them in shut the fuck up mode within 15 seconds.

Oooohhh! You're so rad! tongue.gif

DFA has found plenty of friendly climbers at Smith Rock, Red Rocks, Maple Canyon, American Fork, Joe's Valley, The Happy Boulders, The Buttermilks, the Portland Rock Gym, Stone Gardens, and assorted other small crags and gyms here and there. The number of arrogant, obnoxious, or disruptive meatheads has been close to nil, although DFA hasn't run into Capt. Caveman at the crags yet ...

The most friendly place I have climbed is . . .wait a minute. .. this is a gay sounding question. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay -(if you like being the one on the left in the new icon) but I don't care. If you go to climb then go to climb. . . Unless its winter time and the sun goes down early and there's some hot climber-betties around the campfire -then you should walk up with some Stout for the gents and hot toddys for the ladies and see if you can "onsight" a 5.12 rated lassie.

smileysex5.gif

DFA wrote-The number of arrogant, obnoxious, or disruptive meatheads has been close to nil, although DFA hasn't run into Capt. Caveman at the crags yet ...

Yeah but when you do make sure you identify yourself for the ass kicking. I'd be glad to chop your anchors as well to send you plummeting to the floor and off to the 6 foot hole in the ground.

That whole Domeland Wilderness climbing scene is like that. There's some way out, kooky folks hanging out back in there. I met a guy at Elephant Dome while on a indica-haze tour of the area when I was a sprite that would lead anything you pointed him at. I finally quit belaying him for fear of the carnage that sure to end up at my feet. Besides that, he was a great guy to party with, given that he had more dope than I did and had climbed just about everywhere.