26 dead in Connecticut elementary school

kevbone

It would be like chaos, the only reason I'm not being killed in my sleep right now is because all the bad guys are scared I might have a gun. USA! USA! :D

You'd be surprised at how true that statement might be. Look at what the Justice Dep't had to say about the '94 AWB. The '94 AWB expired in 2004 and since then violent crime has dropped.

And I agree that tobacco and obesity kills way more and costs the normal tax payer way more.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

handguns account for the vast majority of gun homicides.

But do revolvers? I mean as opposed to say, a semi-automatic Glock?

It would be nice to know, but in 1996 Republicans in congress successfully removed the budget line item that used to pay for exactly this kind of federal research, and then passed legislation blocking it from returning. You can thank then-Congressman Jay Dickey and the NRA for that. :(

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1487470

Injury prevention research can have real and lasting effects. Over the last 20 years, the number of Americans dying in motor vehicle crashes has decreased by 31%.1 Deaths from fires and drowning have been reduced even more, by 38% and 52%, respectively. This progress was achieved without banning automobiles, swimming pools, or matches. Instead, it came from translating research findings into effective interventions.

Given the chance, could researchers achieve similar progress with firearm violence? It will not be possible to find out unless Congress rescinds its moratorium on firearm injury prevention research. Since Congress took this action in 1997, at least 427 000 people have died of gunshot wounds in the United States, including more than 165 000 who were victims of homicide. To put these numbers in context, during the same time period, 4586 Americans lost their lives in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by rob

handguns account for the vast majority of gun homicides.

But do revolvers? I mean as opposed to say, a semi-automatic Glock?

It would be nice to know, but in 1996 Republicans in congress successfully removed the budget line item that used to pay for exactly this kind of federal research, and then passed legislation blocking it from returning. You can thank then-Congressman Jay Dickey and the NRA for that. :(

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1487470

Injury prevention research can have real and lasting effects. Over the last 20 years, the number of Americans dying in motor vehicle crashes has decreased by 31%.1 Deaths from fires and drowning have been reduced even more, by 38% and 52%, respectively. This progress was achieved without banning automobiles, swimming pools, or matches. Instead, it came from translating research findings into effective interventions.

Given the chance, could researchers achieve similar progress with firearm violence? It will not be possible to find out unless Congress rescinds its moratorium on firearm injury prevention research. Since Congress took this action in 1997, at least 427 000 people have died of gunshot wounds in the United States, including more than 165 000 who were victims of homicide. To put these numbers in context, during the same time period, 4586 Americans lost their lives in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I guess it is all moot anyways as a large number of guns-rights people are of the boner's mentality that the 2nd amendment is not about self-defense or hunting but arming yourself against the gubmint

:rolleyes:

I guess it is all moot anyways as a large number of guns-rights people are of the boner's mentality that the 2nd amendment is not about self-defense or hunting but arming yourself against the gubmint

It's all moot 'cause nothing that's ever worked anywhere else will ever work here -- we're too different. :)

It's all moot 'cause nothing that's ever worked anywhere else will ever work here -- we're too different. :)

if only half the gun nuts put so much energy into losing 40 lbs or learning something to improve themselves.

just sayin'