26 dead in Connecticut elementary school

kevbone

Kirk and KK, how about you share your vision on how to prevent this from happening again? Because it will happen another three times in the next year at this rate. Or do we just accept this as part of the American dream?

Easy. Require all citizens to undergo an (invasive) full body search as well as an in depth mental evaluation anytime they wish to leave their homes and interact with the general public. Everyone will, of course, be required to carry up to date certification of their daily examination and present these papers to any authority figure that asks for them.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanza may have been legally an adult (20 yrs old) but it sounds like he was autism spectrum and/or Aspergers so that makes his mother his keeper IMHO. She bears some responsibility for this which being a victim does not absolve her of.

It's absolutely amazing how little people know about Autism. Sad.

Lanza's brother told law enforcement that Adam was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and was "somewhat autistic".[115] An unnamed law enforcement official,[116] speaking on condition of anonymity, and friends of Adam's mother[117] reported that Adam had been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder

case study: tougher gun laws in Australia

The most striking result: in the 18 years before tougher laws were passed, there were 13 mass shootings in Australia...and none in the 10.5 years afterwards."

"Removing large numbers of rapid-firing firearms from civilians may be an effective way of reducing mass shootings, firearm homicides and firearm suicides."

Seems like a no-brainer:

1) reinstate the automatic weapons ban

2) have a federal "buy-back" program for folks who have the weapons already (legally or not - no questions asked) and want to sell them back (the gov't destroys them)

As tvash says, maybe the only way to have them secure enough is to not have them. I'm selling mine. Want them? Mostly shotguns. They're just not worth it anymore.

the simplest solution is usually the right one.

if a military base was shot up DHS and congress would be all over it. Little kids? We'll see I guess.

Gun freaks overwhelmingly vote GOP. this is why voter suppression laws in some states allow CWLs for voter ID but not student IDs. the right to own an assault rifle is pure electoral politics.

But Mrs. Lanza is responsible for the actions of her adult son because he was able to figure out how to steal her guns and kill her with them?

Well, that's Rob's assertion, so you might ask him.

please translate this for me then...

Originally Posted By: matt_warfield

If she had guns in a lockbox and not in the closet or under the pillow or under the couch this could have been prevented.

It is a terrible tragedy but owning guns is a big responsibility.

Translation: If she had guns in a lockbox and not in the closet or under the pillow or under the couch this could have been prevented.

Lanza's brother told law enforcement that Adam was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and was "somewhat autistic".[115] An unnamed law enforcement official,[116] speaking on condition of anonymity, and friends of Adam's mother[117] reported that Adam had been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.

That's a great wiki link. Except autism isn't considered a personality disorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

But Mrs. Lanza is responsible for the actions of her adult son because he was able to figure out how to steal her guns and kill her with them?

Well, that's Rob's assertion, so you might ask him.

please translate this for me then...

Originally Posted By: matt_warfield

If she had guns in a lockbox and not in the closet or under the pillow or under the couch this could have been prevented.

It is a terrible tragedy but owning guns is a big responsibility.

Translation: If she had guns in a lockbox and not in the closet or under the pillow or under the couch this could have been prevented.

I see. Its ok to hold other parents accountable for the actions of their adult children. But

not yourself. Neat logic!

Btw, you got a link that describes how she had guns hidden around her house. I can't find any information on that but I'm absolutely sure you wouldn't just make up a statement like that.

That's a great wiki link. Except autism isn't considered a personality disorder.

Was this guy, in your opinion, a functional and responsible adult or not? Yes or no?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/health/connecticut-shooting-autism/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Dru should know better

I have no idea what he was personally like before he decided to murder his mother and 26 other people. And neither do you. That's my point. It's all conjecture. He's getting the fifteen minutes of fame he wanted and you guys want to posthumously crucify his mother.

Obviously something was wrong with the young man but I'm sure that falling somewhere on the autism spectrum had little to with his actions that day. It's clear that he had mental health issues and trouble fitting into society. What those were exactly we don't know. Thats obviously not stopping the mob from wanting to tar and feather SOMEBODY.

Was this guy, in your opinion, a functional and responsible adult or not? Yes or no?

No!

Perhaps it is my great pleasure to have been around bipolar, schizophrenic, autistic, and we'll throw in some drug stuff as well such as crack, heroine, meth, and shit like that.

Then there are climbers which have their own version of insanity.

Edited by matt_warfield

Yes it does! But she needed to stay aware of his general demeanor.

Just for the hell of it I will say my son was a schizophrenic, which I will bet is this dude's problem. My son committed suicide instead of killing 26 people.

This is why I am so involved in this thread.

So do you take personal responsibility for the death of your son?

I've managed to avoid posting this thread, until now...

Probably one of the most insensitive comments I've ever seen kirkw. Sadly, not real surprising coming from you.

EOM

Just for the hell of it I will say my son was a schizophrenic, which I will bet is this dude's problem. My son committed suicide instead of killing 26 people.

Probably one of the most insensitive comments I've ever seen kirkw. Sadly, not real surprising coming from you.

EOM

Hey dougd.

Go fuck yourself with a bushmaster you hypocritical piece of shit.

How's that for sensitive?

Sorry to interrupt the little group think experiment you guys had going here.

Good luck on your witch hunt.

EOM

Hey dougd.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thank you

EOM

Thank you. Your response helps a lot asshole.

Edited by matt_warfield

And just to fuel the fire, witches got burned, children get shot, throw in genocide, getting cancer, the World Trade Center, and a few other issues.

Being a human being is not always fun.

But at least we have the Seahawks kicking ass at present.

And if somebody else gives me a hard time about my son and mental illness, they should think about how insenstive is in.

I'm done with this thread.

Edited by matt_warfield

EOM

Hey dougd.

KirkW and Pink...Two tools in action, ladies and gentlemen.

Yes, the old 'immediately turn the dial up to 11 to quash the debate' tactic. A Righty standard.

As if there's nothing that can be done - like banning assault weapons, secondary market gun sales, requiring federally licensed gun sellers to have an actual store, and monitoring the same way more closely, stringent, federally mandated background checks for gun purchases, improving access to mental health services...

Nope, Merka's Perfect Right Now, so if you've got some ideas for making it a better place, I'll start my leaf blower of a brain and drown you out. I've got my freedumb to have my ARs and AKs (hardon for jargon), and if a few kids...OK, quite a few kids, now, have to die so I can stroke my ammo clips, then God Bless America.

Nice.