[TR] Southeast Rock - multiple 10/21/2012

Trip: Southeast Rock - multiple

Date: 10/21/2012

Trip Report:

Spent a week climbing on the east coast in late October. It had been close to two decades since I had last visited some of these places. Beautiful rock, beautiful trees and southern hospitality. If you're a climber and have never climbed the big granite domes of North Carolina you need to take a road trip. Below are some of my favorite photos. All 70 of them are here:

http://www.akmountain.com/index.cfm/2012/10/20/the-Southeast-Rocks

Seneca Rocks

Spent a weekend here dragging a brother up the easy routes. Fall colors weren't at the peak yet... but it was getting close. We climbed classics like Gunsight to Southpeak, Ecstasy Jr, Skyline and Old Ladies Route.

ncrock_5.jpg

ncrock_6.jpg

Gunsight to South Peak. 5.3!

Stone Mountain

Spent a day climbing runout slab at Stone. My wife had never been here so it was on the list for sure.

ncrock_16.jpg

The Great Arch

ncrock_18.jpg

Unknown climber on Mercury's Lead. This is a 5.9 with a full 100' runout on the 2nd pitch. I climbed it 20 years ago when I had balls. No way I would touch it now.

The climber in this photo splits his time between the Sierras & NC - so if you know him FWD him my site & I'll send him a bunch of pix.

ncrock_20.jpg

Yardarm. A 5.8 with a bit of a runout. Many a climber has been suckered onto this route b/c the start is easy - only to discover that the 5.8 move is just before a bolt after an 80' runout.

Linville Gorge

I was last at Linville 17 years ago and it's pretty much the same. Few people, colors at their peak and full on brushy bouldery approaches. This is one of my favorite areas on the east coast.

ncrock_27.jpg

The North Ridge. 250' 5.5. Very very fun!

ncrock_33.jpg

The Daddy. A 5 pitch 5.6 that is spectacular.

ncrock_35.jpg

The Mummy. The views on this route are crummy so don't bother.

Looking Glass

I was last at Looking Glass about 20 years ago. Mid-week you can have the place to yourself. Colors were a few days past peak but temps were in the 70s so no complaints.

ncrock_44.jpg

ncrock_41.jpg

Crack climbing on the south face. We climbed Second Coming and Gemini Cracks. Gemini Cracks is excellent!

ncrock_48.jpg

The famous eyebrows.

ncrock_57.jpg

Looking up at the Nose. 400' 5.8.

ncrock_51.jpg

Top of the 3rd pitch on the Nose.

ncrock_56.jpg

Unknown climbers on Sundial.

Gear Notes:

Tricams for Looking Glass. Balls for Stone. Carharts for Linville bushwhacking.

Approach Notes:

Alaska Airlines

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, cool trip! You have to love the fall colors down there :brew:

As for Looking Glass, I climbed there about 10 years ago and the thing that I remember about the eyebrows is that you always had to place gear when you could. While you might get several good pieces every 5-10 feet, if you passed one up, there might not be another one for 20+ feet. That being said, the climbing was super fun and unique.