Outdoor Gear

dontlookdown

Just started doing some outdoor bouldering, eventually want to do outdoor climbing, still working on my lead climbing. I want some pants / shell to wear on days when it's a little chilly. I much prefer being in the wilderness than a warehouse and I don't want the cold weather to stop me. I need something that is close fitted and flexible. Recommendations?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude Drederek I am sure you look fabulous in your long johns and shorts, but I don't think I could pull that look off. I am considering those Zion pants. I went out to do some bouldering today after work and there was a guy out there who had some pants very similar to the Zion's but they were made by an ultralight hunting company called Kuiu and they were the Attack pants. I really liked the way they looked and the fabric used to make them. They also have 4 way stretch and are weather resistant. They have a few more pockets, but the price is a bit higher. So I am trying to decide between the two. Has anyone ever tried the Kuiu pants? This was my first time ever seeing them

Dude Drederek I am sure you look fabulous in your long johns and shorts, but I don't think I could pull that look off. I am considering those Zion pants. I went out to do some bouldering today after work and there was a guy out there who had some pants very similar to the Zion's but they were made by an ultralight hunting company called Kuiu and they were the Attack pants. I really liked the way they looked and the fabric used to make them. They also have 4 way stretch and are weather resistant. They have a few more pockets, but the price is a bit higher. So I am trying to decide between the two. Has anyone ever tried the Kuiu pants? This was my first time ever seeing them

I have a pair of the kuiu attack pants which I use for climbing with great results. They are super soft and stretchy but indestructably durable. I could scrape em up and down concrete and they'd be fine. They breathe very well, and don't limit movement at all. A little more expensive at $150, but you are paying for the durability of the product. Mine are over a year old, they get used on average about 4 times a week, and they are still in mint condition. I will have them for years to come.

I have many pairs of Zion pants. I love them and use them for everything. Hiking, climbing, work, beer parties, going out, etc. Zion pants are the best travel pants made. Lightweight, roll up great, very easy to move around in. Spent two weeks in Ecuador in them wandering around while not climbing. Very excellent.

BTW, they aren't horrible and are generally for colder days, but REI makes a soft shell: Endeavor. And they have convertibles. A convertible soft shell is kinda nice because it gives you that op to tear off (cue the sexy music). Anyhow, they aren't super durable - you might have to replace after 2 seasons - but they are kinda nice for climbing. I've used em to climb on the lower Coleman and then the next day climbed in Leavenworth. Also did some cragging in Mazama and then Liberty Bell in them. They are pretty awesome.

Plus, if you got em, take those white long johns, throw them under em and you got the sexy look (with the pantlegs off). Additionally, I've thrown the white long johns under the whole pant and climbed Rainier twice in them on fairly cold/windy days with no problem!

Edited by CaleHoopes

Just started doing some outdoor bouldering, eventually want to do outdoor climbing, still working on my lead climbing. I want some pants / shell to wear on days when it's a little chilly. I much prefer being in the wilderness than a warehouse and I don't want the cold weather to stop me. I need something that is close fitted and flexible. Recommendations?

This thread is remarkably similar to this one. http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2606846;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread As it's so similar with the magical KJUS discussed that let me repeat what I said over there:

......As far as price goes, NW Alpine is US made by guys who get out and climb and they are selling authentic Scholler material softshells for $235. Good stuff. http://nwalpine.com/bigfour I've heard good things about the product being well designed and with high functionality. That's what I'd have bought instead had I not gotten a deal on the Mt Hardware. I would definitely check it out.

Also, I had seen a chart someplace comparing the waterproofness of various waterproof material. Anyone know where that is?

You need to be spamming the hunting and gun boards. Your camo KJUS looks to be just the stuff for either a Turkey hunter or a mall shooter. What this board needs is another good wind shirt argument discussion. The shit they are coming out with now defies belief. I was in the valley while back and TimetraverlSteve whips out something that resembled a minimalist womans thong...except with less frilly lace (sadly) and in the form of a windjacket and not a thong. Super lightweight ultra sheer Northface Windshirt score for the WIN!

I later saw that Mt Hardware had a similar thing and got one. I stuffed it in my pocket despite it being warm on the valley floor when we started the 30 pitch day or whatever the hell it was. Later, as we were on Crest Jewel and the winds were hitting 20mph and butt assed cold in the late day shade, I could climb comfortably instead of shivering as was my former tradition. Great for fat assed lazy old guys who don't want an extra ounce of crap. Love it.

Mine is called the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Anorak jacket and clocks in at @ Weighs 1.87 oz. Ounces! Can't speak for what the Timtraveler had, but it amazed the heck out of me.

• 3 months later...

I also have a pair of Prana Zion pants but I'm not a huge fan. They are pretty baggy below the knee on me, which I don't like. I've been climbing in a pair of Adidas soccer pants, which are super tapered below the knee. They are very stretchy and breathe well but may not offer as much warmth/protection as you are looking for.