It really did fall down

Yeah, right. Those bolts sure made that tower safer. I'm suprised that some lemming was not lashed to one of them as the tower crashed. Clearly it was more dangerous with bolts than without them.

Wait. Maybe I mis-spoke. I didn't mean to say the tower was safe to climb or that it should or shouldn't have been bolted. I'm just saying we should leave that place alone, no bolting and no tower-pushing-over. Hands off!

I'd say if someone is [blank] enough to climb on the tower, they can go for a ride. Just like if someone is [blank] enough to climb a climb that's run out w/o bolts. More power to them!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope whoever pushed this tower over did a better job then the "tower pushers" that fuked up the cool tower next to Cold Cut Combo at MM wall....that tower (last time I saw it last year) is worse off now....very scary to be near as it is/was teatering on a very small rock. BTW is it pigeon season yet?? wave.gif

IMHO, I think it's great that thing was knocked down. Sounds like it was a total threat to people's safety and should never have been bolted in the first place. I think that whoever had the guts to go out and do this and risk getting in trouble with the law should be commended on their great deeds. While I am not for environmental destruction, it sounds like this was a death waiting to happen. If someone was able to push this thing over, then it had to be close to going under a climber's weight. Better some more choss on the ground than a dead climber. It's one less trip for SAR in my opinion.

I can't understand why the hell would the sheriff be after whoever did this? madgo_ron.gifAre they going to be chasing after anyone and everyone that's ever "cleaned" a route before, as so many people do on first ascents (and all subsequent ascents at Vantage). Is cleaning loose rock now considered illegal? And what is with some sheriff getting injured in this whole ordeal anyway? I thought nobody was there but the 'outlaws' when this happened.

I'm not saying that I would go out and do somethine like this myself. I hate Vantage because of the large choss pile that it really is and never climb there anymore. It's the only crag that I feel the need to wear a helmet while at the base. Personally, I don't feel like people should be climbing there, but that's not my decision. I simply realize that people *are* going to climb there pitty.gifand so what if somebody actually had the balls to knock over a tower and make the choss pile a little bit of a safer place to climb. hellno3d.gif

Szyjakowski said:

I hope whoever pushed this tower over did a better job then the "tower pushers" that fuked up the cool tower next to Cold Cut Combo at MM wall....that tower (last time I saw it last year) is worse off now....very scary to be near as it is/was teatering on a very small rock. BTW is it pigeon season yet?? wave.gif

I was there the day the asshole (plastic pants man from uw rock) was trying to knock over the tower at M and M wall. It was a saturday and he was obviously into it for the button pushing sake. He banged on it for a while and made it worse and then stoped. And then, here is the choice part, he and his lovely group walked up to the top of the crag and started wacking golf balls into the coulee! Some dudes went up there and bitched em out. Guy is a prick. But thats just me.

chucK said:

klar404 said:

(plastic pants man from uw rock)

who's that? confused.gif colorful name! Does it refer to actual pants made of plastic or something else?

The dude wears nylon pants regardless of the temperature. This was two years ago . His is aprox 23?. blond. And, I hate to say it, but he climbs with the Coach.That sounded like a f'in personal.

Thank you dalius for you opinion on something you know nothing about, people have been trying to push that tower over for years. Can you say mechanical advantage or let me spell it out for you dumbass its called a jack. I think you should do some research before any more manure come gushing forth from you mouth. If you don't think jack'n over a natural tower because it has a dareing sport climb on it is wrong I am glad you don't climb there .

And thank you for not climbing there, one less dumbass shit for brains is ok with me.

And BTW if you where to walk along the top of most of the classic crack climbs you would realize with a jack you could destroy a whole wall of crack climbs .

Phuk'n dumbass , just makes me want to @#$!$ madgo_ron.gif

Actually- some little bald dude with a Prana symbol tattoo came up and bitched at me for hitting the golf balls (which I had nothing to do with). I'm sure his buddies were impressed with what a tough guy he was. If you have such a problem with plastic pants guy, I can give you his number so that you can arrange to tell him in person- I'm sure he'd be happy to accomidate you. As for the tower next to CCC- it was a safety hazard. A week earlier, the whole thing shifted as a guy I was belaying leaned on it- better for it to fall while noone was below it, in a controled environment. True, plastic pants guy can be annoying, but I think it's pretty lame to talk like a tough guy behind a computer.

Charlie said:

As for the tower next to CCC- it was a safety hazard. A week earlier, the whole thing shifted as a guy I was belaying leaned on it- better for it to fall while noone was below it, in a controled environment.

Seriously though....go fix the mess...the tower is more dangerous now then when it was before your friends jacked the thing around....remember it was sitting on that small rock for 1000's of years.....and knowing about a safety issue...why would someone lean on a questionable tower when there are bolts to hangdog on?????

Charlie I am not pissed at you by anymeans so don't take this the wrong way... CHEERS--- bigdrink.gifwave.gif

Charlie said:

Well, no reply cupcake?

(That was meant for the Klar guy, not Szyjakowski.)

sigh... I'll bite. Charlie, I have no personal problem with you. I refuse to get in a pissing match. It IS the internet, not my jobsite. I feel your friend was trying to gain attention to himself by thwacking a route with a sledge hammer on a saturday at a popular crag. And then hitting golf balls over my as well as others heads.If your friends intentions were to remove this "saftey hazard" why didn't he finish the job? I agree compeletly with Szyjakowski that the thing should come down.And I guess watching a guy hit a pillar at the bottom was kind of like watching evolution in action! Wouldn't it be safer to be on top rope with a jack or a crowbar?If you want a hand I'd be happy to help.

Not too sure what you're talking about- I don't remember anyone having a sledge hammer. He knocked it over by kicking the top of it while on rappel...hence the safety hazard...if it fell over by merely kicking it. And just to clarify- WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SMALL PILLAR ON THE LOWER WALL, NEXT TO COLD CUT COMBO, SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED 2 YEARS AGO- (just in case the sheriff may be reading this. and got confused)

Charlie said:

Not too sure what you're talking about- I don't remember anyone having a sledge hammer. He knocked it over by kicking the top of it while on rappel...hence the safety hazard...if it fell over by merely kicking it. And just to clarify- WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SMALL PILLAR ON THE LOWER WALL, NEXT TO COLD CUT COMBO, SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED 2 YEARS AGO- (just in case the sheriff may be reading this. and got confused)

YOU DO NEED TO GO FINNISH IT THOUGH CHARLIE.

YOU SAY FOR SAFETY CONCERNS, YET IT IS JUST AS BAD NOW.

erik said:

Charlie said:

YOU DO NEED TO GO FINNISH IT THOUGH CHARLIE.

YOU SAY FOR SAFETY CONCERNS, YET IT IS JUST AS BAD NOW.

THE TOWER is WORSE NOW, not just as bad.....