It really did fall down

A friend and I went to Vantage this sat. and noticed new debris around twin cracks. The pillar housing the Positive Vibrations climb at Vantage toppled. This is the same pillar Smoot warns against climbing, since it was due to topple. Well, it did. Didn't appear as anyone was on it at the time it fell, but must've fallen within the last week for sure, since it was there last weekend.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaky. Reminds me of a time my younger brother was climbing down at American Fork. He clipped a bolt on this big roof/block. Just when he committed to pulling over the roof, the horizontal crack above the roof/block widened from fingertip size to over an inch. Of course he thought it was all over--he was clipped to this one ton block that was creaking and moving. He couldn't down climb back under the roof/block he was hanging onto. He knew if he fell, it would likely pull the block, which would have been the end for him and his belayer. So, he unclipped the draw that was attached to the bolt on death block, and was able to delicately finish the move and get above the roof. When he rapped down, he was able to levered off the block (with the bolt it it) just by jumping up and down on the horizontal crack that he'd used to pull by it on the way up.

• 3 weeks later...

When Yoder bolted that climb I told him what a dipshit he was because it was so unstable. At that time you could sit on the edge of the cliff and put your feet against the column and rock it about a half an inch. As much traffic as it has seen, I am really suprised that no one rode that baby to their death.

Sport climbers are lemmings. fruit.gif

• 1 month later...

I thought the climb, Positive Vibrations was killer, and when I heard the tower fell over it was like climbing one of the mud towers in Utah and it falling over after you have climbed it :Cool

Than I found out it was pushed over : VERY UNCOOL

IT has been said that the Grant Co. Sheriff has a tip to the perpetrator and with evidence from the scene plans on a Felony charge of malicious mischief and heavy fines.

To vandalize a natural tower is just wrong and I hope they catch the punkass brat that did it.

Edited by captaingreybeard

I thought the climb, Positive Vibrations was killer, and when I heard the tower fell over it was like climbing one of the mud towers in Utah and it falling over after you have climbed it :Cool

It was a killer waiting to happen.

Just think about it this way. They did us all a safety favor.

To vandalize a natural tower is just wrong and I hope they catch the punkass brat that did it.

What's the fine for putting trash where it belongs cantfocus.gif

It was a killer waiting to happen.

Just think about it this way. They did us all a safety favor.

What's the fine for putting trash where it belongs cantfocus.gif

Your name in the papers under police reports,Felony charges, Probation ,loss of employment for some,fines adding up to some peoples yearly wages

Fish and wildlife doesn't think it was trash and the grant co sheriff that was injured and the people from S&R that gave up their time don't think it was much of a joke cantfocus.gif

Pushing entire tower over to make it safer is ok

but bolts to make it safer are not. Hmm.

I'm not going to try and determine exactly who's in favor of what from the posts above (I can hear it now "reading comprehension problem..."). I'm just going to point out it seems silly to be "anti-bolt" on the grounds of environmental disruption and pro tower-pushing-over.

I'd be interested to hear from the posters above. To what degree (i.e. fines? jail time?) should the person(s) that pushed the tower over be prosecuted.

My opinion: !If! the act was intentional, they should recieev jail time for this. They destroyed public property and destroyed something I considered to be beutiful.

nerd? ok. better than a loud mouth dick-head (I'm not talking about caveman here....)

oh yeah. And my question was not "is it right or wrong", it's "should they get in trouble" Cave: What's that you're always telling people... "if you'd f*&^ing read my post above, you'd understand me better"