Where to stay for Hyalite trip?

Muga2

I'm heading to Hyalite for the first time this coming Feb. I have a sweet hookup at Big Sky Resort. To those that have made the trip before me; should I shell out the cash to stay in Bozeman or take the free ride at the Resort? I've never been in the area, so I don't know how much of a hassle it would be to commute every day...

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From bigsky to the hylite parking lot is more like a two hour drive.....

minimum 50 minutes from Bigsky to Bozeman and then another 45 to get into the canyon depending on road conditions...

I went to school there, so unless you got a helicopter I wouldn't recommend that drive. Also that road between bigsky and bozeman is the most dangerous in montana.

There are plenty of cheap hotels and hostels in Bozeman

Edited by powderhound

I agree with PH but people drive every day from the airport in Bozeman to ski and from their homes in Bozeman to work in Big Sky. It is a dangerous road but well maintained and risk seems small for anyone who puts pointy things on their feet and in their hands and climbs ice.

Plus we need to know what you mean by "sweet hookup". It could be important to the discussion. :grlaf:

Edited by matt_warfield

I agree with you Powderhound, that's why I said an "additional" hour from Big Sky. I drove Gallatin Canyon for 5 years living in BZ and working in Big Sky.

If the OP wanted to stay in BS, would you suggest he consider checking out Beehive Basin? I never made it in there in the winter and not sure how frequently ice forms up.

I do know I was disappointed with the Ousel Falls area (near the BS Meadows) and wouldn't recommend it.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. By "sweet" hookup, I meant to say that i have a friend who can get me a room for my entire stay for FREE. :)

If it's likely a 2 hour drive each way, I don't think I'm down for that... unless of course the climbing in the BS area is worth staying in that area.

I've got the appropriate climbing guidebooks, but haven't done my homework yet. Since this is my first ice climbing trip to MT, I figured I would be happy exploring Hyalite alone.

Thanks again for the travel beta!

Dustin

the beehive is great for backcountry skiing, but the ice is not consistent enough to make plans. The ice in beehiveis melt thaw and best in the early spring when snow conditions are more stable. The ice around bigsky is short and lame. Go to hylite its worth your buck. Also consider the window rock cabin up in hylite just past the lake, it is an often overlooked accommodation. Then you wouldn't even have to drive back into town. I actually think it is less then $50 a night which is cheap if your got a couple others with you.

Have fun

Bryan

Be sure to check out the Hyalite ice conditions thread run by keenwesh. You may not run into the best of Hyalite on this trip.

We have a warm trend right now. Shorts and tshirts in town. 50 deg. tomorrow. PM the jetstream and the weather gods with complaints.

He's not gonna be out here until February, stuff should be nice and fat by that time. Hard not to keep complaining every chance we get though.

Dribbles is in good shape at least.

This warm spell is like my head cold, it sucks, but it'll pass before too long.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. By "sweet" hookup, I meant to say that i have a friend who can get me a room for my entire stay for FREE. :)

If it's likely a 2 hour drive each way, I don't think I'm down for that... unless of course the climbing in the BS area is worth staying in that area.

I've got the appropriate climbing guidebooks, but haven't done my homework yet. Since this is my first ice climbing trip to MT, I figured I would be happy exploring Hyalite alone.

Thanks again for the travel beta!

Dustin

why not take advantage of both venues. sesh some big sky pow and tool top notch ice in hyalite.

dont let a 2-hour commute detour you man. get your shit up early enough to where you pull into the parking lot a half hour before daylight.

FWIW, my sis's cabin is ~130mi from the hyalite parking lot, we consistently knocked out daytrips in approx 2-hours plus change one-way, a handful of times. hell, we've even made a 3.5-hour drive plus 2-hour approach, oneway, to tag a rowdy piece of ice in the southeast corner of Glacier NP, all in a days work (not sprayin' just lettin' you know whats possible). start early, get juiced and stay juiced, finish late.

if your not willing to smash-n-grab shit during your hard earned vacation, well, i dont know what to say... enjoy the free amenities?.

Yes, a session at Big Sky sounds good to me. But my climbing partner does not ski or ride... so the trip is indeed ice only! We are definitely juiced about the trip. We are driving the 750 miles right after I get off of work (hopefully straight through); so that we arrive early the next morning... so that we can climb the first day we are in town. YEAH :) We'll climb all day, hike out in the dark, have some beers over dinner, & sleep. Day 2,3, & 4 should be a repeat of day 1. Day 5 climb til noon if possible & back to the car for the 750 mile commute back to home... smash n grab style! Best part of the entire "All Climbing Trip - All The Time" : my partner is my wife! :)