What happened to the ski club hills?

chris

When I spent time in New Zealand, I was happily stunned by the number of ski club hills - tiny basins, often on logged or alpine terrain, utilizing rope tows. None had anything fancier than a warming hut at the base, with a club-run concessions stand. The biggest one I skied at had three rope tows - two linked together on the right side, and a third on the left.

What happened here? There used to be two other ski hills on Stevens Pass, one on Pilchuck, and several others. You can find the list of KIA on Lowell's website. I also noticed this at Lake Tahoe when we lived there for a few winters, so is this a national phenomenon, or did something specifically change here in Washington?

I've never seen the little rope tow at the Sahale ski club run.

Some point down the line, I heard that it was safety regulations that became too burdensome. I even heard that the rules governing a rope tow are the same for a chair lift, gondola, and a tram, which seems a little ridiculous to me. But this is all hearsay. Does anyone know the facts? Lowell?

The cost of entry to skiing and snowboarding keeps getting greater. Lift ticket prices are spendy. Base areas sometimes seem over-developed, but many ski areas say that without that development, they can't afford to operate at all.

Is there room for minimalist non-profit ski hills today?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the world of corporate skiing. At least that's the trend. Even lift served ski areas used to be local and individual ;)

I learned how to ski at the Snoqualmie Mountaineers Lodge, and the Meany Hut. The Snoqualmie Lodge burned, so that isn't an option anymore.

Tow Gripper

O_C_Tow_Griper_Shot_copy.jpg

Hi Chris,

You should go skiing at the Mountaineers Meany Lodge (formerly called the Meany Ski Hut) near Stampede Pass. It has been in constant operation since 1928. The first rope tow went up in 1938-39. I think Meany is probably the longest continuously running ski hill in Washington. It is definitely a club hill of the sort you're looking for. KurtF mentioned learning to ski there, but he didn't perhaps make it clear that the little hill is still going strong.

You should also check out the ski hill at Leavenworth, below the old jump hill. It doesn't always run, due to low snow cover, but when it does, it's a great little community resource.

Also, check out Loup Loup near Twisp. It's not a club hill, but it's definitely a community hill, with a different feel and philosophy of management. It's a delightful little area.

My feeling is that Washington's club ski hills generally didn't die due to liability. One noteworthy exception is the Mountaineers ski area between Snoqualmie Summit Central and Summit West. There was a fatality on the rope-tow in 1997. A 13-year-old boy got his clothing caught in the rope and was strangled. That was the beginning of the end. The Mountaineers permanently closed that tow a few years later.

Most club hills in Washington died because people preferred to ski at the larger, more developed ski areas. Some, like the Sahalie Ski Club have largely been absorbed by nearby ski areas (i.e. Summit West and Alpental). The other hills you mention, like Yodelin and Pilchuck died for complex reasons. They were not club hills. You can find notes about them on alpenglow.org.

If you want to find the little minimalist ski areas in Washington, you should go east of the Cascades. See the following article for information about six of them:

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/11/13/1874805/nows-the-time-to-tour-the-smaller.html

Also, don't forget Hurricane Ridge. That little area is a delight. It deserves everybody's support, because the Park Service is deeply ambivalent about allowing ski areas within the National Parks.

When I spent time in New Zealand, I was happily stunned by the number of ski club hills - tiny basins, often on logged or alpine terrain, utilizing rope tows. None had anything fancier than a warming hut at the base, with a club-run concessions stand. The biggest one I skied at had three rope tows - two linked together on the right side, and a third on the left.

What happened here? There used to be two other ski hills on Stevens Pass, one on Pilchuck, and several others. You can find the list of KIA on Lowell's website. I also noticed this at Lake Tahoe when we lived there for a few winters, so is this a national phenomenon, or did something specifically change here in Washington?

I've never seen the little rope tow at the Sahale ski club run.

Some point down the line, I heard that it was safety regulations that became too burdensome. I even heard that the rules governing a rope tow are the same for a chair lift, gondola, and a tram, which seems a little ridiculous to me. But this is all hearsay. Does anyone know the facts? Lowell?

The cost of entry to skiing and snowboarding keeps getting greater. Lift ticket prices are spendy. Base areas sometimes seem over-developed, but many ski areas say that without that development, they can't afford to operate at all.

Is there room for minimalist non-profit ski hills today?

Ha! In New Zealand, they're called nutcrackers, and come sewn into a weight-lifting belt that you get with your lift ticket.

But still, why has this happened. It seems like too much of a conspiracy to blame large resort ski resorts.

No conspiracy, just superior marketing. Most people want things bigger and fancier. Those who didn't generally dropped out of skiing during the boom years. It was only after the little areas died of neglect and the big areas became much more expensive that a few people started to miss the little areas.

You should read "Downhill Slide" by Hal Clifford. Here are my notes on it:

http://alpenglow.org/ski-history/notes/book/clifford-2002.html

Fortunately, Washington has largely been spared the sort of real-estate-driven mega-development described in Clifford's book. But you still hear people complain sometimes that there are no "destination ski resorts" in Washington.

By the way, rope grippers are still used at the Mountaineers Meany Lodge. It must be one of the very few areas (I'm not actually aware of any others) that still allow them in the U.S.

• 3 months later...
Welcome to the world of corporate skiing. At least that's the trend. Even lift served ski areas used to be local and individual ;)

I learned how to ski at the Snoqualmie Mountaineers Lodge, and the Meany Hut. The Snoqualmie Lodge burned, so that isn't an option anymore.

Tow Gripper

O_C_Tow_Griper_Shot_copy.jpg

I have one of those.

And now I know what it is.