Long tents?

mhux

I was looking into buying a lightweight, single wall tent (like the firstlight), but realized I'm a bit too tall to fit (I'm 6'4", in a firstlight I'm barely in all the way). Anyone have recommendations for single wall tents that fit tall people? Or is the solution just cram in anyway?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being tall sucks, I have a lightweight extra long 3 season sierra design tent that I use when I go winter camping. in a actual winter storm I would get absolutely ass fucked though, so probably would want to get a hillburg if you plan on the big mountains. For summer backpacking and fair weather mountaineering it's damn nice though. Not sure what it's called but for a 6 and a half foot monster it makes a really comfy den.

Maybe it's my clown feet. when I get supine in a BD I end up with soggy footbox in my bag as they're right against the end of the tent compressing the down and collecting moisture. Perhaps if I had a tentmate that would let me sleep diagonally I could manage. Sometimes I dryhump in my sleep though so that isn't a very comfortable solution.

I just wish they made a "Light" version of the Eldorado. After spending a week in a HiLight in the Pickets, I agree that they aren't very comfy for folks in the 6' 4" range. If it is rainy, the head and foot of your bag are going to be soaked.

And, I'm not arguing with you Pete.

A midget ("little person") could just scrunch up in one corner, leaving folks like us the rest of the tent. I'm 6'5" and my partner and I (no, he's not a midget) went in on a Big Agnes, I think it's the Cooper Spur 3 man and it works well, very roomy and light...

Midget climbing partners are pretty hard to find, granted...

d

Edited by dougd

Yeah, cause they all climb 5.13.

Keenwash, I like to put my empty pack in the foot end of the tent to protect from the effect you're describing.

I agree a Firstlight for two tall people isn't very comfortable, but light and comfortable is a rare combination in a tent.

with a pack at my feet I have even less room. How big are your feet? My dad has a 3 person hillburg (maybe the Nallo?) that weighs 5 pounds and stays dry because it's double walled, the thing is bombproof and I'd take it to AK if I could ever get my shit together and go. it's also long enough to fit in comfortably with two 6' 6" individuals.

Yeah the only problem I have with a firstlight is getting my head and feet soaked from condensation when I'm scrunched up in there. Partner isn't a midget either. Dealing with it is one option, buying a tent that actually fits is another...or simply not bivying in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...