Total Newb here

MegaSpokaneMan

Hey all,

I am new to this forum, and the sports of climbing and mountaineering. I very much enjoy hiking and have decided to take this love to the next level. The catalyst for this decision being I am finding my self doing less and less hiking as the years progress.

Years ago I would find myself in the rock gym and on the snowshoe trails from time to time enjoying every minute of it, and never gaining the skills necessary to develop this love into more of a life style.

I have come here to begin changing this.

I am unsure if there is a large amount of content for my side of the state; but will most assuredly gain from reading about the side of the state I hope to move to with in the next two years.

Anywho, just wanted to say hello to the newbie forum as I am sure I will be around these parts frequently.

- Mega

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Newb;

I believe there is a chapter of the Seattle-based Mountaineers in Spokane, also possibly a chapter of the Crag Rats, who originate in The Dalles. As far as climbing areas near you, there are areas for cragging/rock climbing right in downtown Spokane, (which you probably already know about) and crags in Mt.Spokane State Park. I think there are guidebooks to both of these areas, which your local climbing gear stores might have. The closest fairly sizeable range I can think of is the Cabinet Mts. along Hwy.56 between Troy and Noxon, Montana, about 2 or 3 hours drive NE of you. There's a fairly recent post about a trip there on this website. You're also not that far from Glacier, and the Canadian Rockies in Banff and Jasper.

There are a ton of resources about these areas on this site. Other places not too far away from you are the Idaho Bighorns in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness near Challis and Salmon, Idaho. Go to , and also for info on how to get there and some of the great climbs there. A little further south are the beautiful Sawtooths outside of Stanley, Idaho, fantastic place, excellent rock. Read the latest edition of "Mountaineering:Freedom of the Hills", pub. by The Mountaineers, excellent to help you get started with solid basics. Best of luck and have fun!! :wave:

Newb,

I agree with MtnGuide but just want to add that there is so much wonderful territory in Eastern Washington it is ridiculous. Drive 2 hours and be in Nirvana around places like Leavenworth and Mazama.

And for the most excellent adventures in hiking, get some vertical on. Leavenworth and even W. side of the Cascades has some of the best hiking on earth.

Spokane doesn't, unless you are a flatlander which is fine for some.

Edited by matt_warfield

Right you are, Matt; guess I was just taking it for granted that Lworth and E. Cascades are so close to Spokaloo.

I will gently ask to define "close" to mountains. If you live in Boulder CO it is 15 minutes. If it is Squamish it is 5 minutes. If it is Bishop CA it is 15 mintes.

If it is Spokane it is 2 hrs. east or west so you and Feck are both right but it still takes time.

Edited by matt_warfield