• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Avalanche Beacon Question

So I am getting into more backcountry travel and I have signed up for some classes but need to purchase a beacon. There are so many on the market I was hoping for some recommendations.

I have a Tracker 2 and its great. I am thinking about getting the Mammut Pulse Barryvox due to its better performance with multiple burials. They are pretty expensive, but most people will vouch for the importance if you are ever involved in a slide.

Backcountry travel calls for wearing a good beacon. I just bought a pair of Ortovox Patrollers because I like the small size and features. All modern (i.e., digital) avi beacons will follow a flux line and get you close to the transmitting beacon, but do your research for the one with features that appeal to you. Anyone will tell you the best avi beacon is the one you practice and get proficient with.

A second on the BCA Trackers. Easy to understand and use for beginners and beyond. Once you feel like you have mastered it and want more power for multiple burial situations you might want to reconsider your route choices.

There some beacons that are better than the BCA Tracker; however they are considerably more expensive. I have a Tracker, and as long as you know how to use in a multiple burial situation, it is, IMO fine. I've tested it at the beacon park and it works well, as long as you know it's limitations. Bottom line, the Tracker is a great value.