How to get the stink out?

Toast

Okay, hold the giggles and save the spray please, serious question here...

I made the mistake of wearing my rock shoes without socks this season. Do you have any tips on how to get the skanky smell out? More importanly, do you have any cautions regarding the thoughts below?

I've considered scrubbing the insides out with a mixture of salt and baking powder, letting it dry and risning with water. I also gave some thought to a soak in white vinegar and a rinse in water. The latter actually did wonders for getting rid of the stink from my polypro liner socks, but I'm not sure what it'd do to the sole adhesives.

Thanks in advance bigdrink.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of those things sound to me like they would do some damage to the shoes them selves... I hate stinky feet as much as the next girl, but hate socks and climbing MORE... learn to live with it would be my best advice.

also

:try to open your shoes up as much as possible when you are not wearing them

:don't keep them in a closed bag or back pack EVER

:don't leave them in the trunk

maybe it is time for new shoes wink.gif

I dont know any one who wears socks in their climbing shoes, so..

I dont know what your so worried about, the smell that eminates from your shoes can be a good weapon for troublesome partners, particularly if they wont get out of bed.

Try freezing them thats how how i get the smell out of my poly pro, for at least 24 hours.

Toast, that stench was horrible. I have never smelled anything like it, except at the slaughter house I worked at one summer in High school. fruit.gif (not sure where the sarcastic graemlin is, but I am being sarcastic here)

However, if I were you, I'd be a lot more concerned about the soles delaminating and get them into a resoler or send them back to the manufacturer demanding they fix em. Geek_em8.gif

Yeah, yeah... part of the reason I threw this thread out there was in preparation to send my shoes out to the cobbler. I'm just a little self conscious and embarrassed to hand over a pair of shoes that give away how bad my toes can smell (eew.) pitty.gif

Fun climbing with you out at Index, though.

Well, I think that using the baking soda would work if you leave it there for a bit. Not wet mind you as the Pac. NW would invite mildew. Other than that the thing I do is carry a foot spray for fungus. I spray my feet and the shoes(I don't carry the spray when going into the mountains). The next order of business happens at home. I pull the shoes out of the pack and loosen the laces and allow the air to get to the entire shoe. Good luck with the odor...take the shoes to Dave Page the odor should help his scowl.hahahahaha laugh.gif

Edited by sisu_suomi