[TR] Red Rocks - Inti Watana to Resolution Arete 10/29/2012

Trip: Red Rocks - Inti Watana to Resolution Arete

Date: 10/29/2012

Trip Report:

Inti Watana to Resolution Arête

Grade V, 5.10+, 22 pitches

On Monday, October 29th, Chris Cox and I climbed Inti Watana to Resolution Arête at Red Rocks, Nevada, car to car. Inti Watana is Bolivian and translates as “The place where one can lasso the sun”. The name is fitting as IW to RA is one of Red Rocks longest and tallest routes which culminates on the summit of Mt. Wilson. Resolution Arête was F/A’ed on New Year’s Day, hence the name. Inti Watana is a steep, east facing wall (12 pitches, 2000ft) just to the north of Resolution Arête; Init eventually joins Res Arête on its 14th pitch and climbs 10 more pitches to the summit.

Oct 29, 2012 Rise 7:01Am Set 5:47PM 10h 46m 03s

Above is the sunrise and set for the 29th, we had 10 hours and 46 minutes of light to do the climb and committed to do the approach and decent in darkness. At 22 pitches in length that would give us 30 minutes a pitch to lead, follow, rerack and start the cycle anew. The full Moon was chased away by sunrise and in turn the full Moon rose as the Sun set making me think about the cycles of life.

The approach was strait forward enough; each step we took toward Mt. Wilson made it seem larger until it loomed above us like a dark fortress. We were alone at the base and prepped in silence. Chris led out on the opening crux pitches, stiff 10’s through bolts on red rock. The quiet was only broken by his grunts and my affirmations. The route is a delicious mixture of bolts and trad.

If you tie a 70 meter rope onto Chris look out; he will link pitches, habitually. Chris is a habitual pitch linker! Which works out well on long routes like this; after the first few pitches the climbing eases back into 10-/9 territory and had the feel of Crimson Chrysalis on steroids. The 9th through the 12th pitches are worth doing the whole climb alone for. They’re on that plated Red Rocks stone, in spectacular position and really fun climbing. Every anchor of Inti Watana is bolted and the route can be rapped. Chris and I both highly recommend this route.

Once we reached Resolution Arête the grade eased off a bit but the climb clears its throat, deepens its voice and gets strait into some adventure climbing. We simu-climbed the last five pitches of Res Arête to make the summit at sunset where we watched the full Moon rise over Las Vegas. We signed the summit log in total solitude snapped some pics and started our three hour decent to the car through First Creek Canyon. A local told us to follow high ground all the way to the back of the escarpment to a saddle where you have one foot on the sandstone and one foot on the limestone, that was good beta.

That saddle is where you turn south into First Creek Canyon and start the two hour boulder hoping session before the trail gains the flats where we emerged to Mt Wilson bathed in full moonlight and looking much less sinister.

Chris and I had warmed up in the previous days on: Ragged Edges, Frigid Air Buttress, Dark Shadows, Crimson Chrysalis, Bird Land and Black Orpheus. Chris had also done Epinephrine and a few others on Black Velvet Wall with Whitney Clark while I rested and viewed the Grand Canyon. I turned over 100 trad pitches at Red Rocks in Rocktober; a spectacular fall season. Thanks Brother Chris!

Moon set behind Yellow Jacket Tower, Mt Wilson to the left.

01-DSC00602.JPG

Chris approaching IW to RA at day break

02-DSC00606.JPG

More approach gully to IW

03-DSC00608.JPG

Looking up IW with Resolution Arete to the left.

04-DSC00614.JPG

Chris firing off the crux pitches on IW

05-DSC00615.JPG

06-100_6703.JPG

08-100_6720.JPG

07-100_6714.JPG

09-100_6721.JPG

10-DSC00617.JPG

11-100_6704.JPG

12-DSC00621.JPG

13-DSC00618.JPG

The last belay on IW looking down the entire route.

15-DSC00624.JPG

Chris leading out on pitch 14 of Resolution Arete

16-DSC00629.JPG

The cat walk

17-DSC00632.JPG

18-DSC00627.JPG

Mt. Wilson Summit

19-DSC00634.JPG

Moon rise over Las Vegas

1-DSC00638.JPG

Our summit log entry

20-100_6738.JPG

Mt. Wilson by the full moon looking north

21-DSC00641.JPG

Crimson Chrysalis

21_5-100_6675.JPG

Crimson Chrysalis

21_6-100_6673.JPG

Chris at the final anchors on Crimson Chrysalis

22-DSC00598.JPG

The base of Black Orpheus

24-DSC00592.JPG

Me at the crux of Black Orpheus

25-100_6651.JPG

Dark Shadows

26-100_6635.JPG

Dark Shadows

27-100_6637.JPG

An old SMC Star Drive....Some say clip'em, some say skip'em

28-DSC00664.JPG

29-rest_days.JPG

Gear Notes:

A standard rack to 3 and 15 draws will be sufficient for Inti Watana; some folks might like a 4 and some long runners to finish up on Resolution Arete.

Approach Notes:

We Approached Inti Watana in darkness and had minimal issues fining the right gully.

Edited by Eric T

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic