Had Your Flu Shots Yet?

Kimmo

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like a pony for christmas.

Why settle for a pony when you can get a unicorn - a Korean unicorn to boot!

Better hurry. Ponies and unicorns are entitlements and Repugs are going to cut those back, unless they find out they cause Autism, then they'll be giving them away at Safeway.

i guess i never responded, kevino:

Since Kimmo loves quoting articles:

From the Oxford Journal of Health Research Education

The effect of falsely balanced reporting of the autism-vaccine controversy on vaccine safety perceptions and behavioral intentions.

Abstract

Controversy surrounding an autism-vaccine link has elicited considerable news media attention. Despite being widely discredited, research suggests that journalists report this controversy by presenting claims both for and against a link in a relatively 'balanced' fashion. To investigate how this reporting style influences judgments of vaccine risk, we randomly assigned 320 undergraduate participants to read a news article presenting either claims both for/against an autism-vaccine link, link claims only, no-link claims only or non-health-related information. Participants who read the balanced article were less certain that vaccines are safe, more likely to believe experts were less certain that vaccines are safe and less likely to have their future children vaccinated. Results suggest that balancing conflicting views of the autism-vaccine controversy may lead readers to erroneously infer the state of expert knowledge regarding vaccine safety and negatively impact vaccine intentions.

can you link to the study? i'd love to see what information the undergrads were given; wouldn't you?

The combined measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines and the total number of vaccines are not associated with development of autism spectrum disorder: the first case-control study in Asia.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and general vaccinations, including measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, in Japanese subjects, a population with high genetic homogeneity.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

A case-control study was performed. Cases (n=189) were diagnosed with ASD, while controls (n=224) were volunteers from general schools, matched by sex and birth year to cases. Vaccination history and prenatal, perinatal, and neonatal factors from the Maternal and Child Health handbook, which was part of each subject's file, were examined. To determine the relationship between potential risk factors and ASD, crude odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CIs) were calculated, and the differences in mean values of the quantitative variables between cases and controls were analyzed using an unpaired t-test. Moreover, MMR vaccination and the effect of the number of vaccine injections were investigated using a conditional multiple regression model.

RESULTS:

For MMR vaccination, the OR was 1.04 (95% CI, 0.65-1.68), and no significant differences were found for the other vaccines. For all of the prenatal, perinatal and neonatal factors, there were no significant differences between cases and controls. Furthermore, regarding the presence of ASD, MMR vaccination and the number of vaccine injections had ORs of 1.10 (95% CI, 0.64-1.90) and 1.10 (95% CI, 0.95-1.26), respectively, in the conditional multiple regression model; no significant differences were found.

CONCLUSIONS:

In this study, there were not any convincing evidences that MMR vaccination and increasing the number of vaccine injections were associated with an increased risk of ASD in a genetically homogeneous population. Therefore, these findings indicate that there is no basis for avoiding vaccination out of concern for ASD.

link please? do you know when and by whom this study was done?

you must find a little bit about the above amusing though, right?

if i'm reading this right, someone concludes that based on this ONE study with 400+ participants:

"these findings indicate that there is no basis for avoiding vaccination out of concern for ASD."

this rivals the shit i see posted by the looniest anti-vaxers.

i'm not sure if vaccines are really your subject of interest, but did you read the transcript i posted a link to, the one about the simpsonwood conference with 51 scientists and docs discussing vaccine safety? pretty interesting, no matter one's own views regarding the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
The Taliban hate vaccines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20769717

nah, it seems like the taliban hate the foreign influence, and enjoy exploiting the situation for their own gain, but all I know is from the stories i read, and who knows what-all is missing from the reporting.

interesting stuff about polio tho... it seems epidemics appeared only AFTER sanitation and sewer systems appeared. before, everybody got the illness when very young, when the chances of paralysis are basically nil. after sewer systems, lifelong immunity was no longer obtained at the young age, and guess what, the older you are, the greater the chances of paralysis.

another interesting fact: 95% of polio cases are virtually asymptomatic, so how are they coming up with stats in afghanistan? sounds like they are vastly under-reporting cases, if only confirmed cases are counted....

• 3 weeks later...