Hybrid fabric hoody like OR Centrifuge

kevino

So I was picking up some cord at mountain gear and was window shopping when I came across the OR Centrifuge. Wind/water resistant shoulder, top of sleeves and hood, breathable lightweight fleece underarm and back. Thumbloops, a couple pockets and hood. Pretty slick set up for windy and light snow approaches while hiking, skinning, etc.

Anyone use it or something similar? I feel like a jacket like that could have a real good nitch.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/jackets/mens-centrifuge-jacket.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best jacket ever made was the Arc'teryx Alpha Comp Hoody. It had a stretch-woven body and PTFE hood, shoulders, and seat. Windproof, very breathable, tough, and water protection where you need it. This kind of jacket is not meant for extended exposure to rain, but in variable conditions where you are moving or doing lots of stop-start activity, nothing beats it.

They haven't made this jacket for years, but the concept has been applied by other manufacturers as well. I own several softshell jackets and the Alpha Comp Hoody is the one I prize the most.

Here's a photo of the women's version:

ACHCA.jpg

It's the ultimate jacket design, Hardshell on the hood,shoulders, and arms, with softshell everywhere else. I HAVE NOT been able to find a single manufacturer of this type of jacket. Too many companies are trying to sell these "softshells" that are really waterproof / breathable.

They obviously are selling jackets to people who never get active in these jackets.

The closest I found was some "Guide jacket" that Eddie Bauer only carried for a season and a half and it wasn't waterproof everywhere it needed to be. I lost that jacket and have been cursing that day ever since.

Interesting the direction this thread took. Fromage was the one who brought up the alpha comp and shells.

These are not supposed to be all purpose shells, its suppose to be a lightweight hoody that will provide good wind and mild precip protection during high output activities (skinning, uphill approaches to climbs).

The First Ascent hoody looks ok, but blows it by adding insulation to it. Excess weight and bulk to me. My body will be producing heat, so much so I want super breathable material on it, not insulation. Notice how the OR hoody has a back panel of breathable material? Thats more of the design I was talking about.

Notice how the OR hoody has a back panel of breathable material?

Once you throw a backpack on top does it even matter what the back is made of? It isn't really going to breath much with that backpanel up against it no matter what. Then when you take the pack off you flash cool if the back panel is super breathable.

These are not supposed to be all purpose shells, its suppose to be a lightweight hoody that will provide good wind and mild precip protection during high output activities (skinning, uphill approaches to climbs).

Hard to improve on the trusty dusty lightweight wind shirt for those particular activities.

Except they don't look as extreme. :laf:

It's very good shell.

But ... There is a catch!

You are an American and if you go for it, you have to wear European style colours. :-)

Just kidding!

What I meant to say I believe there are no gray colours for this jacket in NA this season. If you decide to go for it, you have to go for blue and red.

Also, there is no hood? Is this problematic for you? I for some reason always look for jackets with hood. However, I am pretty much bold so I have issues with being warm.

The OR Centrifuge is one of my favorite pieces of softgear, maybe my single favorite. I wear it more than any other jacket/hoody I own. Base t-shirt (Arc'teryx Ether), OR Centrifuge, and Arc'teryx Atom SV is a combo I used on Hood, Rainier, and Shasta this summer with great results. It's also perfect for ice climbing in mild temperatures.

• 2 months later...