Looking for one day winter climb near Bozeman

PowderHounder

Hi all,

I'm heading to Bozeman the first week of Dec for the Bozeman Ice Fest. I'm hoping to tackle a car to car climb while there with my climbing partner. Something similar to the NE Buttress of Chair Peak in the Cascades (if you are familiar) would be great.

For those not familiar, a grade III, WI3, AI3.... give or take. Was looking at Beehive peak potentially?

Any ideas?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent all the daylight hours today taking the tools for a walk to the beehive. When we finally found our intended route the descent to it was windloaded, the route wasn't really in, and it was 2 pm. I'd guess that the temps with windchill were around -10. In a month you'd want a sled so you could make it to the base within the short daylight hours.

A good climb for you guys that shouldn't be too much of a slog would be Silken Slot combined with Dribbles or Silken Falls. The Slot is one of the best WI3's in the canyon, and the first pitch is a really fun 5.7 mixed pitch. The last (3rd) pitch is fantastic WI3 with a topout right next to a cool hyalite rock formation.

Send me a PM before you come out and I should be able to give you a up to date conditions report.