Worst thread ever - Life insurance

climberjesse

I just got a quote back for a million dollar life insurance policy. $40/month for my wife and $300/per month for me. WTF!!!

Apparently being a healty and active 25yr/old is a terrible thing especially if you rock climb.

What have you guys done to keep your life insurance rates reasonable as climbers? Carriers?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a quote back for a million dollar life insurance policy. $40/month for my wife and $300/per month for me. WTF!!!

Apparently being a healty and active 25yr/old is a terrible thing especially if you rock climb.

What have you guys done to keep your life insurance rates reasonable as climbers? Carriers?

I would ask them wuz up with it. It could have nothing to do with the climbing (or not, I don't know) For instance, there were 3 business partners here. I was the oldest and a climber too, and the other 2 guys pretty much were golfers for their sport and relaxation. We all got insurance at the same place, same time, same reason and mine cost the least every month. In fact, they did a health evaluation which included drawing blood, and I just looked the best of the 3. The youngest guy was shocked that his was the highest, (we all were at first) until we realized that he was a smoker and his family history looked worse as well. It was a heads up to get his shit together. Stop smoking, eat better. His cholesterol count was up and so was his blood pressure. But he looked good on the outside. No one knew.

You may have just gotten very very lucky to get this heads up in advance. Call and ask, your blood pressure might be off the charts or something similar which you might really need to know.

If they don't give you a reason, look elsewhere for insurance. Love to see what they say, assuming that they do and if you feel like sharing.

- good luck

What was the term on your policy?

There was a thread not to long ago about this topic, and I remember some insurance companies not taking climbing/backcountry skiing into consideration, while others do. I know some companies will do exclusions as well.

I went with a lower policy amount. While it would be nice to leave my wife and kids a million dollars, I opted to go with a policy that would pay off the house and buy her a newish car (much less than a million). With SS survivor benefits the family will do OK, but it will mean that my wife will have to work if I die before her. Sorry honey.

Also, as Jon and others have said, it pays to shop around. You may be able to get around some of the exclusions by holding multiple policies with smaller dollar amounts. Sometimes you can get policies thru work that pretty much have no exclusions (and no physical) if you keep the dollar amount somewhat modest (< 150K).