The Conservative Party

olyclimber

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it begins...

"At the end of the day, conservatives were left out in the cold. It should have been a landslide for Romney, had he embraced a truly conservative agenda," Bozell said. "But Romney's a moderate and his campaign embarked on a bizarre...defense from the outset."

God damn, this just shows how out of touch the conservatives are these days. Their answer to winning the next election? Be more conservative. How does that old Einstein quote go? Oh yeah...

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results"

I honestly don't think Presidential elections are about policy.

- Supreme Court appointees

- War with Iran

- Israeli / Palestinian talks

- Environmental protection

- Consumer protection

- Healthcare

- Wall Street oversight and regulation

- Restoring reasonable taxation of the wealthy

- Cuts in services to the most needy in society

- Medicare turned into state general fund block grants

- Assault on education

- Trade war with China

A whole lot of policy hung in the balance so I'd have to disagree.

I probably didn't articulate it very well, so I think you missed my point. I meant to say that the vast majority of our voting population, whether they recognize it themselves or not, vote for the candidate they like or can relate to the most. Not for which candidate represents the policy they prefer.

I honestly don't think Presidential elections are about policy; they're about who the population "likes" more. And old Mit was a big loser on that one.

Having spoken to thousands of voters over the years, I can tell you first hand that this lame attempt at denigrating the American electorate is dead wrong.

Its really compilcated. You probably wouldn't understand.

I probably didn't articulate it very well, so I think you missed my point. I meant to say that the vast majority of our voting population, whether they recognize it themselves or not, vote for the candidate they like or can relate to the most. Not for which candidate represents the policy they prefer.

Yeah, I read that article, too.

this would mean that the "vast majority of our voting population" change party allegiances at least somewhat regularly, and this isn't the case.

Memo to the Born Againz: Party's Over

Buh Bye

i think it's a bit more complicated than "buh bye".

Some, including you, dismissed future Republican relevance back in '08 when obama won, declaring the party "dead". Then they came roaring back in 2010.

Even Romney somehow managed nearly half the popular vote.

i think one big part of the problem is the two party winner take all system we have.

parliamentary systems hardly blow ours out of the water, would you not agree? republics aren't panaceas...

i think one big part of the problem is the two party winner take all system we have.

I think the problem is 2 party system- I feel like nobody represents my needs. I think with over 300 million people here, and such diverse culture it's silly we only have to main stream choices.

parliamentary systems hardly blow ours out of the water, would you not agree? republics aren't panaceas...

perhaps not (nor did my assertion identify what the "problem" is, exactly!)

Edited by Kimmo

pie-in-the-sky pondering at any rate - the odds of convincing 75% of the states to drop the electoral college are miiiiighty long, and the EC, established by the constitution, makes 3rd parties pretty much impossible

unless the system collapses, which usually happens when it gets too top heavy.

i think the constitution's got a good long life still in it, so not certain what "the system collapsing" would look like in anything near the distant future

2 party and multi-party systems share pretty much the same lamentable limitations, but both are clearly superior to single party ones, so we're all just gonna have to make do, 'least till the venutians come down to deliver us all to dog's everloving grace :)

this would mean that the "vast majority of our voting population" change party allegiances at least somewhat regularly, and this isn't the case.

That's a good point Kimmo. Maybe a better theory would be that likeability tends to be a big factor in election outcomes, often a deciding factor.