skagit county rock guide

bwwakaranai

I know there has been a few others developing routes at Cumberland Crags and other Skagit cliffs. My recent hobby has been to compile a list of routes put up in the area in hopes to eventually making a Skagit County guidebook.

While my budget is low, motivation is high, and the more I climb these cliffs the more I'm attracted to them. So far areas include Cumberland Crags (7 Mile, Coal, and Iron Mt), Umbrella Rock, Calendar Butte, an Erie Select, and Rosario. Would I love to add Split Rock and Equinox Rock. Yes...but

If you have any new route info, history, pictures, stories, or beta to any of these places mentioned and are willing to share your experiences, please contact me as I hope to start making a demo copy this winter.

Thanks,

-Brandon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add, and probably most importantly...

Please include any stories, pictures, history, etc. Related to Dallas Kloke and these areas. My history with Dallas was somewhat dissconnect from

others who had climbed with him. It would be great to hear about some of

your adventures with him especially at the previously mentioned crags.

He was the one who introduced me to the potential in the Skagit. I owe him

a lot but alas I can never give back what he has given to me, beyond a glimpse

into a past adventure. I think he is looking down on us smiling, and glad that

we continue to play on the same cliffs he came to cherish.

bwwakaranai@gmail.com

Big Rock is another nice skagit (sport) cliff. Easy access and difficulty varies from 5.6 to 5.10b, I believe. Most or all of the bolts are new and in good condition. Mountain Project has a good page on this area to get you started should you decide to include it. While the page is listed under "Bellingham area climbing," the cliff is actually just south of the Big Rock Grocery in Mt. Vernon on Highway 9.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/big-rock/107329455

I'd be all for that idea if there was someone who might want to collaberate. Its sort of a homegrown idea, just so you know. I Was going to bind at home and photo topos are J-peg quality so no frills. There are around 130+ pitches listed so far so I think its worthy of some documentation. I know of Bat Caves, Gov Lister, Larabee, Mt. Baker Rocks, and I hear of some goodies up by Hannagen Pass. One advantage of binding at home is that there could be versions 1, 1.25, 1.50 etc. More than whatcom area it would be really neat to complete the Skagit co crags by getting some info on Equinox and Split rock. We could even leave out approach beta if access is an issue. I mostly want to see a complete list of routes done out here since tis is mehome and there is surprisingly a wealth of great climbing in the Skagit lowlands, and I also welcome traffic on

the 30+ pitches I've put up. Everyone who's put a brush to the rock out here knows that the the black stuff will be back without some action.

FWIW, Fairhaven Books in Bellingham has an on-demand press downstairs. You can set up an account with them, and then they'll print the book as needed. I don't know what the split is - I'm sure its not as favorable as if the Mountaineers Press was publishing, but it may be worth saving you the time and effort.

FWIW, Fairhaven Books in Bellingham has an on-demand press downstairs. You can set up an account with them, and then they'll print the book as needed. I don't know what the split is - I'm sure its not as favorable as if the Mountaineers Press was publishing, but it may be worth saving you the time and effort.

Thanks Chris, Ill check into Fairhaven Books, sounds perfect.

and well said Rad. I need to get the next generation up on some of these routes I can't finish too :)

• 3 weeks later...