Favorite pitches at Darrington?

curtveld

Great thread Curt- Here goes...

5.4 or less- Chrome Dome SE face approach(sweet water worn features and a huge quartz dike just before you gain the dome proper)

5.5- Cornucopia P1

5.6- Big Tree P1

5.7- Magic Bus P1

5.8-Broad Daylight P1 (knobs and overlaps), Total Soul P3 crack/seam

5.9- Baloney Pony P1 on Baloney Dome (fun layback when clean, great discontinuous knobs higher), Excalibur Flake(with the no hands rest)

.10a- Silent Running bonus pitches, Slab Daddy P10, Centerstage (1st real pitch off the bench)

.10b- Urban Bypass ( just prior to rejoining Dreamer where it thins out)

.10c- Pig Iron P3? on Wawetkin Dome. (sparse knobs on steepening headwall), Holy Grail P5,( knobs but not one extra),

.10d- Centerstage crux pitch (tenuous pure friction with a tiny dish), Ancient Melodies P5(tight steep friction dihedral very sustained footwork)

MH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess I'll chime in as well, since it is my favorite topic.

5.4 or less - South face Chrome dome (almost 4,000 ft of class 4 and easy 5th on super clean, polished stone).

5.7 or less - "Under The Boardwalk" (always fun!)

5.8 - "Till broad daylight" P1 ; "Excalibur" P1 (both have good athletic moves for the grade).

5.9 - the "Blue Crack" on Dreamer P6; the flake pitch on "Excalibur" P6 ( super fun on fantastic stone)

5.10a - "Waterfall Buttress" P5 (Nice clean finger crack on a flat face in an amazing location)

5.10b - "The Holy Grail" P5 ( In my opinion the best pitch in Darrington, bar none)

5.10c - "Centerstage" P1 (Credit card edges don't get any better)

5.10d - Excalibur" P8 (Fantastic crack and face moves on the cleanest rock in D-Town)

5.11A or harder - "Centerstage" P5 "Schitzophrenic" P7 (Very tenuous moves on superb rock way up in the air. It doesn't get much better than this)

There are like two feet of freshiez out there!
And very few of these lines have had first descents yet. Some real opportunities for bold skiers.

YIKES! :shock:

I have been on the Sidewalk in Winter with terrible snow conditions and a warming trend. That was one of THE scariest things I have ever done. I will pass on a repeat of any of that nonsense!

:)

Favorite pitches watching someone else lead at Darrington:

Dan leading the Rash

Steven leading the Cloven Hoof pitch 1, lots of cussing and moaning, many unsavory remarks uttered toward the first ascentionist (hanman)

Mark leading pitch 3 on other side of the traxs, lots of cussing and moaning, many unsavory remarks uttered toward the rist ascentionist (steven)

Mark leading pitch 3 of the Big Four Tower Route, actually I didn't get to see it, but I could hear it while climbing the pitch below, lots of cussing and moaning, many unsavory remarks uttered toward the first ascentionist (steven)

Mark leading pitch 3 of Romantica right about the time I realized one of the double ropes was sliced half way through as it passed through my belay device.

Don leading pitch 2 off width of The Ultimatum, a fair amount of grunting and whining and some blood

Jeremy leading pitch 2 super steep pitch of rolling thunder, then calling it 11a/b, Hah, then throw him up on the near by 10c slab around the corner to the right (can't remember the name, but its a great pitch) and he has a shit fit cause it slab and "stupid" mostly cause he was scared and couldn't rely on his super human grip to yard himself up it :)

Edited by shapp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...