So much for trickle down + more GOP fun n games

tvashtarkatena

From: Taxes and the Economy: An Economic Analysis of the Top Tax Rates Since 1945 by the Congressional Research Service, an non-partisan arm of the Library of Congress, Sept 12, 2012

"Analysis of such data suggests the reduction in the top tax

rates have had little association with saving, investment, or productivity growth. However, the top

tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top

of the income distribution"

GOP Congressmen protested the report and had it taken down from the Government's website:

Article

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait till Trashie runs for prez. Just sayin, bout time someone that knows it all takes control of this fucked up sichimanation.
He might just be the best Republican ever to run, as long as he can get Ivan as his running mate.

sorry, i won't be available - my recent write-in campaign for superintendent of public instruction is likely to keep my occupied for a long, long time :)

I can't wait till Trashie runs for prez. Just sayin, bout time someone that knows it all takes control of this fucked up sichimanation.
He might just be the best Republican ever to run, as long as he can get Ivan as his running mate.

sorry, i won't be available - my recent write-in campaign for superintendent of public instruction is likely to keep my occupied for a long, long time :)

On the contrary, you gotta jump on that ladder sometime. Next thing you know, you'll be in the gubners mansion. It's only a matter of time from there. Just remember, you can see Oregon from your office (LOLP), at least half the year, "technically/legally" anyway.

Hey, you got my vote Ivan.

The NAACP reports that 'non-whites' polled nationwide strongly favor marital equality, however. Maryland has a large Black Baptist population actively pushing the Biblical marriage thing. I couldn't find any info, and perhaps there is none to be had, on how Washington's blacks feel about the issue, but I'm always dubious about these kind of racial breakdowns as monolithic voting blocks anyway.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

A majority of Maryland's blacks are against marriage equality.

When the oppressed become the oppressors....

A history of oppression is not inherently ennobling, sometimes it just makes you want to be the one to wear the boot. Take Israel or the various waves of US immigrant's attitudes towards the wave behind them as examples.

From: Taxes and the Economy: An Economic Analysis of the Top Tax Rates Since 1945 by the Congressional Research Service, an non-partisan arm of the Library of Congress, Sept 12, 2012

"Analysis of such data suggests the reduction in the top tax

rates have had little association with saving, investment, or productivity growth. However, the top

tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top

of the income distribution"

GOP Congressmen protested the report and had it taken down from the Government's website:

Article

I'm sure the statement that there's little or no connection between the official top marginal rate and economic growth, etc, is true because there's not much of a connection between the top marginal rate and the actual effective tax rate at any income level.

E.g. if the top marginal rate is 90% but the rate only applies to a tiny number of taxpayers, it only applies to the top-tier of their income, and it's easy to avoid it most of it via loopholes - then it's more of a populist distraction than a reliable indicator of how high the real tax rate actually is at any income threshold.

The effective tax rate data is much more reliable if you are interested in how much tax the average household in each income quintile is paying:

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=456

Taxes a share of GDP is a much more accurate way to tell how much of the economic pie Uncle Sam has been eating.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=205

The remarkable thing is how stable taxes as a share of GDP has been since WWII, despite the dramatic changes in the top marginal rate. The average since 1944 has been 18-20%

GDP and Uncle Sam's Pie are abstractions. I mean, really, as individuals, who fucking cares? How many folks in America wake up and ask "IS GDP GROWTH OK???!!!!"

Wealth concentration is not an abstraction. We have a worsening wealth concentration problem in this country, relative to other developed countries its abysmal. It's stifling growth, eroding the middle class, making access to the middle class more difficult, and, while I know this is may be too much of an abstraction for ya: increasing human suffering.

The Simpleton's agenda that is the GOP's tax cut mantra is partially responsible.

Well, that and spending even more than the 700B/yr (yup...that's 14 Sandy recoveries folks...per year) we already spend on a military that's already larger than the next 14 countries combined.

We don't wealth redistribution in this country, we need to reclaim the wealth that the wealthiest have stolen from those who created their wealth for them in this country.

Edited by tvashtarkatena