Logging Around Frenches Dome?

CoffeeBiner

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Story in Mazama Blog.

OMG, Please. Just saw the damned trees down. That stuff is all 2nd or 3rd growth is it not? Who really wants to pay $10 for a 2 x 4 and million dollar shacks? Better to cut it when it's time, it's why we hire professionals to work in that field. It would be different if there was habitat issues Marbelled Murrilet Coos Bay sale for example) Don't make me go get my chainsaw, I need some firewood here. ;) Sorry, but I can't get enthused in locking up timber that should be cut.

FOREST SERVICE PREPARES TO ALLOW LOGGING AROUND FRENCHES DOME

Photo Courtesy Judson Hall

Local Forest Service watchdog group BARK reports that the USFS is preparing a timber sale in the ZigZag Ranger District. According to BARK, "The Horseshoe Sale" comprises 2000 acres of timber nestled between the Bull Run Watershed Protective Area and the Mount Hood Wilderness.

In addition to Frenches Dome, the sale could profoundly impact a number of popular hiking trails and campgrounds.

Trails: Top Spur Trail, Ramona Falls Trail, Burnt Lake Trail, Cast Creek Trail, Horseshoe Creek Trail, Sandy River Trail, Upper Horseshoe Trail, Lolo Pass Trail, and Pacific Crest Trail.

Campgrounds: Lost Creek Campground, McNeil Campground, and Riley Horseshoe Campground

BARK views this sale as a worrying departure from the logging moratorium enjoyed in the ZigZag Ranger District since 1998.

i won't jerk my knee until i see an actual survey map of the cut area(s), expected traffic/road impact, and closures. This reads like BS as is. Name me a proposed logging area in any national forest and I will spout off some trailheads/trails/campground in general vicinity.

• 4 months later...